Three letter acronyms

While I sympathise with what you are saying, it seems it is not unreasonable to expect the person asking the question to do a little of their own research as well. Even if that means doing a quick google, or just posting a reply saying "WTF does that mean?". For some technical subjects (like electrical) where precision in terminology is important, it can be very hard going to type out fuller versions of MCB, CU, or CFL every time they are used.

You may find some of these helpful also:

?title=Electrical_Glossary
?title=Wood_Glossary(in fact just searching the wiki will often turn up an answer)

Reply to
John Rumm

No, his three letter name at the end struck me as amusing, given the subject line.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Ah, you picked the wrong person to mention that reply to. All makes sense to me. I am - or was until I retired - an electrical engineer.

Nah, since it apparently went over your head, your three letter name at the end of your post struck me as amusing given the subject line.......

Reply to
The Wanderer

Or trains..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

hope she gives her ETA at the RTA.

mark

Reply to
Mark

:-)

For some reason they are now called RTC's collision being more PC than accident. something to do with fudging figures no doubt.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think it is more to do with blame and insurers. The term "accident" allows more scope for it being no ones fault. A collision however is more likely to be caused by someone who's insurers can then be saddled with the cost of the ambulance attendance etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , robgraham writes

So 5 letter ones are OK, then ?

like ... DIGAF ?

Reply to
geoff

Train de reduciert vitesse ?

Reply to
geoff

So did I win?? The suspense is killing me...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Close but no cigar :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It is a good job your daughter is not a doctor. It seems that the acronyms doctors use are nearly killing people:)

The acronyms used in the childrens ward at my local hospital are a little less flattering. PNS/PAP/SPS are some of the ones used.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Very topical:

Doctors are being warned that using abbreviations in medical notes is putting patients' lives at risk. The UK's Medical Defence Union said difficulties often arose because abbreviations can have more than one meaning or might be misread.

judith

Did you see my other post at 00:55 of Field Incident Triage?

Only one other close offering that I can see.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Forward Incident Team.

Due to the road closures around the firework display near the London Eye, ambulances would have been delayed, so they surrounded the area with 16 Forward Incident Teams.

Team consisted of 1 x paramedic & 2 x St Johns with a huge backpack containing de fib, heart monitor, blood pressure machine, sats analyser etc on foot walking around a small area of the crowd, so they could go straight in within minutes.

Just finished reading the 33 page incident plan. Bloody impressive. They had everything from terrorist attack to freak weather covered in detail, covered everything you could possibly imagine.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ah, the RVP and "clinical lead" misled me into rather larger, satic, contingency set up to cover the crowds at the Fireworks and New Year in general.

They are always a good read, try finding your CEPOs plan(s) should be on your county councils web site somewhere.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So what's that particular FLA, then? Just tried searching for "CEPO" on mine, and drawn a blank!

David

Reply to
Lobster

County Emergency Planning Officer. Deals with contingancy planning for the county in liason with the emergency services, utilities, etc. Some counties (the "nuclear free" ones) only had minimal CEPO activity in days gone by as the CEPO would also deal with civil defence, ie what to do if the town gets nuked. Things have changed now.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That would be an ETLA actually...

Reply to
John Rumm

No, that's the London way of pronouncing "Free Letter Acronym". Innit.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ