threaded nut on g9 lampholder

Hi All I have a ceiling light with 3x g9 bulbs. The glass shades are help on using a threaded nut which screws around the g9 lampholder. The nut has a 'cogged' or splined outer and the fitting came with a (cheap, plastic) box spanner affair for undoing the nut.

Every time I have to take the fitting off I have trouble because (a) the spanner is so cheap, and (b) the nut is not a smooth fit on the lampholder.

This last time, the nut has finally broken in two, so I will have to find an alternative.

1) any suggested source for decent (or even semi-decent) such threaded nuts for g9 bulbholders? I assume the thread is standard for these.

2) similarly for a decent box spanner design...

3) could I use some sort of high-temperature grease to ease the fit of the nut onto the lampholder?

Thanks for any thoughts

jon N

Reply to
jkn

OK, I now learn that they are called 'shade rings', or 'lamp rings'. So at least I can get hold of some.

Still interested in a decent 'shade ring tool' or ideas for easing the turning...

J^n

Reply to
jkn

jkn submitted this idea :

I don't know if this might help, but they used to sell a spring steel clip to replace shade rings, stamped out of sheet metal. You just squeezed its arms and it released the shade.

Another variation used a thin metal spring arms, which you held together to remove the shade, but the shade needed to have a larger than normal hole for the squeezed together arms to be able to pass through. It would be held in place by a normal shade ring.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I used to use vaseline, but in the end plastic goes brittle with age heat and temperature changes etc. The only real fix for any kind of nut is to attempt to use all metal fittings, but many do not like them or their expense. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I once successfully glued a broken nut, and it lasted another two years. Luckily I managed not to let the glue glue it to the thread. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

There's an M40 standard thread used with many european plastic ES and BC lampholders (40mm diameter thread). Your G9 may well be using something smaller though.

I could imagine that running off and making a mess ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's an 18mm dia thread, maybe 1.5mm pitch or so, it seems...

I wasn't thinking of using a lot ... just the thinnest smear of silicone grease or something similar.

Cheers Jon N

Reply to
jkn

Hi jon try lighting spares.co.uk for a G9 locking nut there metel not plastic about 40p each but postage is about £=4.00 so order a few hope that helps

Reply to
Printer61