Threaded blind rivet gun

Never had or used one, or even knew of their existence until recently but now have to install 100-200 of them. The question is, are the cheap ones, ( Silver Line mostly ), available on eBay worth a curse or would something like the Sealey one be worth the extra investment. I can see myself having further uses of what appears to be a very convenient fixing but on the other hand money is tight

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred

The usual problem with rivet guns is grip at the jaws. This isn't a problem with threaded inserts, as you're gripping with the thread. If you're putting in Clinch nuts (which are useful up to about M5) or compressible tube threaded rivets in sizes up to M6, then a cheap setting tool is fine. If you're trying to collapse the tube for ones from M8 and upwards, then you're dealing with an appreciable force and a two-handled setter is useful, to avoid wear on both you and the tool.

For M12, you want a hydraulic tool.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I have the Silverline one and it does the job. Says it has a lifetime warranty too.

It does need some skill - unlike say a pop riveter. It's possible to strip the rivet thread on the smaller sizes if you use too much force and the larger ones are quite hard work. There is an adjustable stop to prevent using too much force - but it's not simple to set.

For occasional use it's ok though. If I were using it a lot I'd like something better. But at about 20 quid delivered from Ebay good enough value.

If I had to do 200 straight off, I'd want something better. But for the one or two I need once in a while it's fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)