Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

In article , Dave Liquorice writes

We had a computer suite with ~15 PCs which regularly tripped the 30mA RCD feeding the room. I'm pretty sure the sparky's fix was to change the 30mA RCD for a 100mA one.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

On Thursday 24 October 2013 15:44 Mike Tomlinson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That's allowed (I think!) because it is a non domestic installation.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In these days of out-sourced meter readers etc. they probably don't care

Reply to
chris French

I am assuming that this is a plastic enclosure? If so is the pull down cover for the MCBs in the middle vertically or much nearer the bottom than the top? The reason I ask is that I've looked at this and all the Starbreakers I see online have the door low down and can take RCBOs with no problem (although they have to be Crabtree ones, as they plug into the busbar and are not of conventional design) - my own on the other hand has the door in the middle and I don't think that there is enough room for RCBOs.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Ah, couldn't get the photo to work before, now I've seen it, it is the version that will take RCBOs.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Bill.

Whip off the front cover and take a photo of the inside of the CU. That looks like the SB6000 and you cannot get single module RCBOs for that model. And it would be cheaper to replace the CU considering Crabtrees prices.

Reply to
ARW

In message , John Rumm writes

I am reminded of a photo that surfaces on here occasionally of some ones install where they fitted a separate DIN rail box and then patched into the CU, an exceptionally neat job.

But yes, I had worried about that, fortunately I use crimps a lot and I'm quite used to them, they will take up a bit of space and aren't very flexible though. Unless I do them behind the board maybe?

Reply to
Bill

In message , ARW writes

There should be one at

If I do end up having to use something else do you recommend any one in particular?

Reply to
Bill

In message , Bill writes

sounds like Anndrew Gabriel's

Reply to
chris French

And Denmans do good value Bundle deals.... you can get a 10 or 14 way Curve CU with your choice of 10 RCBOs for around 100 quid plus vat.

Reply to
Stephen

When I moved in the seal was already broken on the main incomer. So while doing some electrical work which required me to pull the main fuse I also fitted a DP isolator (to the meter board) and then replaced the fuse + broken seal (still broken).

A few years later we had a meter replacement. The chappie didn't even mention the broken seal, replaced the meter (still connected in my isolator) and then resealed the main fuse.

Reply to
Piers

One thing to bear in mind. a single RCD will take at least the same width as two or possibly 3 MCBs. WIth 4 RCD's you're loosing space for for your MCB's.

The beauty of a RCBO is that in the same width as a single MCB, you are combining RCD and MCB functionality in one.

So with a 19 module wide CU, two is taken up with 2 pole isolator, leaving you with 17 spare ways.

you can then either fit:

(a) 4 RCDs (assume double width so thats 8 ways taken) and then up to 9 MCBs for up to 9 circuits, and still have the issue of 2 or more circuits losing power when 1 RCD trips.

or

(b) fit up to 17 RCBO's, have up to 17 circuits and if any one RCBO trips, only one circuit is affected, leaving the rest alone.

I know which I'd prefer..... :-)

The things in my limited experience is that:

You need to ensure that your choice of CU *can* accommodate RCBOs

It often helps if you use the same make for both teh CU and the RCBOs.

Reply to
Stephen

apologies for the confusion. The old circuit was for an immersion. The old boiler was fed as a spur from a ring main.

I replaced the old boiler with a combi system and did away with the immersion cylinder.

I then repurposed the original immersion circuit to feed the new boiler. I left the original 2.5mm2 cable T&E in place but with a 5A RCBO to feed the combi boiler via a 3A fused spur in place of the old 13A immersion DP neon FCU.

This way, if ever necessary, a immersion cylinder can be put back in and a new supply run for the boiler to give separation from the new immersion.

Reply to
Stephen

It certainly does in this case, as Starbreakers use their own, specific, plug in MCBs and RCBOs and a proprietry busbar. There's no facility for connecting normal breakers.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

With a database history of historical usage...

Reply to
John Rumm

This one probably:

John Rumm

In message , John Rumm writes

That's the one. Ta.

Reply to
Bill

The people who installed my panels pulled the company fuse, breaking the seal. I asked about it and they said that it the did it the proper way they would have to pay once to have the fuse pulled and again to have it replaced/sealed. The amount required was/is out of all proportion to the work done. The seal is still broken.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

You will struggle to get the RCBOs to fit that.

As Stephen says the Denmans Curve is rather good. But so is the Hager Invicta (a bit more commercial). Maybe Tim Watts could post a photo of his Hager board.

My own view is that the Hager will cost more but is more future proof should you wish to add modules such as the door bell transformer.

Reply to
ARW

I have a Hager Invicta 3 board - a 36 way one, so plenty of room for expansion (which is planned). Very happy with it - oddles of room for wiring inside, but it's big and obvious - so you need to want a big obvious CU!

With the Invicta you need to be careful to buy the Hager ADB RCBOs, not the ADNs. (I think they're pretty similar, but the ADBs have much longer flying neutral and earths to fit the Invicta boards.)

Reply to
Piers