Thoughts on cordless vacuums please

I don't think it's a case of not thinking about the hassle factor, just about different priorities. We live different lives, in different houses, and a decent cordless vac is expensive and does have it's limitations. Some people won't view it as something they think is worthwhile. Fair enough.

Just like sometimes I'd rather like a good cordless SDS, but they are expensive, and really, I'd not use one that often, so I put up with extensions leads up the ladder etc.

I can stand our Miele cylinder on the main stairs, but I don't suppose an upright would.

Reply to
Chris French

Fairy nuff. I do have a small cordless for small things like that.

Many here seem to think a cordless can replace a mains one. As do the many ads on TV.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

douts when life happens and they've squandered it all. And live forever wis hing they had the money to do this that and the other.

t on stuff that actually matters, that makes a difference.

no, I bought something I could turn round and sell for 3x the price if want ed, and usually lasts a lifetime. That's how to shop.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well I agree, I don't see how a cordless can replace a mains one. We had a cordless Bosch hedge trimmer, since binned because the batteries only lasted a year. Got the same model mains-powered and it's fine. One just accepts the power cord faff as part of the faff of doing the job anyway.

I hate trimming hedges; do they do astrohedge?

Reply to
Tim Streater

If you ever used a cordless drill for a task which takes longer than drilling a hole or two, you'd realise why it doesn't equate to a vacuum cleaner.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And a cordless vacuum cleaner?

But it's OK. You've pointed out that you're happy buying new each time a battery fails.

I'd rather keep my money to spend on better things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the car was an electric one you might well end up junking it when the batteries fail.

But I'd guess you'd not see the difference.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Of course it can. Rest it on the stair below the ones you're cleaning with the hose. You don't need two hands for the hose.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. Same as other continuous use things like sanding. A cordless tool would be hopeless for this. Other obvious one soldering. Even although a cordless one would be nice for the few minutes it actually worked for. ;-) Horses for courses.

One of the first things I did when moving here was to get rid of the hedges. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

yes I have done. It was quicker than installing a spur in the room and far less hassel. When I chiseld out the brickwork to so I could replace the single plug point to a double outlet, when I dysoned up I had the electric switched off so couldn;t use my mainhs powered.

No but people use them for similar reasons. There's the manual, then mains powered, then portable battery powered.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That's because they can.

Reply to
whisky-dave

andouts when life happens and they've squandered it all. And live forever w ishing they had the money to do this that and the other.

est on stuff that actually matters, that makes a difference.

nted, and usually lasts a lifetime. That's how to shop.

No that's how to set up a shop, differnt senerio and dyson make far more mo ney from selling their vacs that you have from you're 8.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Well here they can be a useful windbreak, but we are considering the same. Unless the council says that's not allowed in an AONB.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Right. So you have rooms with no power points. Why didn't you say this in the first place?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My house was built with iron railings. Removed WW2 to make Spitfires from. ;-) Hedges probably the cheapest thing to replace it with.

I do like the look of a neat hedge - but not the effort needed to keep it like that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I heard that was a falicy because the metal in such gates was very poor quality couldn't even be useed for bombs, but the plan was to just throw them out of planes, but the biggest use was properganda, everyone doing their bit for the war effort.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No - not Spitfires - they used aluminium saucepans. railings went to make tanks or warships.

Reply to
charles

In message , Tim Streater writes

Reply to
Chris French

Last year I used a B&D 18v cordless drill. It did a full day's work without recharge and without flagging. Trigger control was excellent. Power output was never a problem. B&D went up a notch in my estimation after that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Still not convinced about it. How amny people had aluminium saucepans before WWII.

whisky-dave