Those 60 minute makeovers

on the telly,who foots the bill?

Watched this mornings one and they practically replaced all the kitchen units,cooker,fridge ect. not to mention the furniture and bedroom suites.

Reply to
George

I assume if on the Beeb TV licence payers. On the other channels...advertisers.

Reply to
cerberus

£20,000 and the kitchen was awful...all dark and dim ..
Reply to
stillnobodyhome

If you can repeat "Oh my gawd!" - then you can have it done.

Reply to
John

At least you don't have to act as 'tea-boy', they bring their own catering van ;-)

I've noticed though on these programs that they tend not to do any close-ups

  • on the closing shots the cameras tend not to linger too long!

I wonder whether these makeovers are backed by any warranties & would the homeowners recommend them to their families & friends ;-)

Reply to
cerberus

I wonder exactly how close to the supposed 60 minutes they actually work?

I glimpsed a bit of one a few weeks ago which included a conservatory. I didn't see how they explained the foundation slab for it being in place before work started.

Talking of makeovers, did anyone see Grand Designs Today in which a well-loved old chesterfield was subjected to "Pimp my sofa"?

The end result was a hideous riot of dayglo, and the couple rejected it in favour of vouchers for £150, the original cost.

An "expert" then valued it at £3.5k to £5k. One of those responsible for the work explained that this was due to "popularity". I could only assume, as English was not her first language, this was not what she was really claiming. :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Are you ure about the conservtory? as far as I know in that 60MM show construction work is not allowed? ie fitting of kitchen cabinets,wallpapering,painting,general small handyman DIY is all thats supposed to happen.

As to the one I saw a couple of days ago they just shoved the washing machine in the hole without connecting the H&C pipes. They brought it straight in from the outside and plonked it in the cupboard area.

Reply to
George

Of course not it would show up the slap dash workmanship. It will be interesting to see how these programmes do once HD becomes the norm. SD hides a multitude of sins... Always assuming that decent HD actually makes it to the home not some mpeg compressed to nothing version sold as HD.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Absolutely. They made the point that this was the first time they had done it on the show. The foundation slab was in place before the clock started. On the whistle, wall sections were brought in, with glazing already fitted. Roof panels, which IIRC looked like polycarbonate multi-wall sheets were then dropped on. This was the one

Chris J Dixon

I once did the electrics for a "This Morning" house make over. The job had to be completed by 4pm. The programme showed a woman arriving home at "4:30pm" who was very happy and surprised at the make over. The odd thing is I left at 6pm, the house was not finished and I never saw the owner.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Groundforce is my fav. Tommy & Will start a huge deck halfway through 'day one' & miraculously just finish it 2 minutes before the punter arrives.

All the decks I've seen on the show would take 2 blokes at least 3 days......

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You should buy an video editing suite...get it done in half the time it takes ya now. ;-)

Reply to
George

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadworth" saying something like:

Good Heavens. You don't mean... they tell ... lies?

Bastards, my faith in TV will never be the same again.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The TV co paid on time. That will do me fine. As will me not having owned a TV for the last 4 years.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth