Thorn proofing wheelbarrow tyre

I am fed up with repairing punctures caused by thorns from the various shrubs scattered around our perimeter. I was thinking of using some 'Slime' inner tube sealant but it occurred to me that I should be able to line the inner of the tyre with something that is relatively flexible but thorn proof. I understand that something is available for bicycle tyres but I imagine that it would be far too narrow for the barrow tyre. Grateful for any suggestions for a readily available lining material which would need to be 70mm or more wide.

Reply to
Robert

There are two basic solutions..you CAN get some sort of kevlar banding that is really puncture proof, but I have been - on the advice of a local farmer - injecting the slime every time a wheel on my lawn tractor goes flat. None so injected have gone flat again. It really works. Try it.

Its cheaper than kevlar.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fit a solid wheel

Reply to
Robbo

My Mate (a gardener) was constantly (every other day) suffering flat tyres due to thorns on the ride-on mower he used on one of his regular clients.

I suggested, the owner bought and my mate 'fitted' "Ultraseal" to all four (big 'balloon) tyres and he hasn't suffered a single puncture since. ;-)

I believe it's designed for tubeless tyres but has been used on tubed tyres with good results (are any wheelbarrow wheels tubeless these days?)

It's more 'industrial' than cycle 'slime' and water soluble etc etc.

(just some info .. no connection with the product other than a happy user in all our trailers / motorcycles etc etc).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , Robert writes

An alternative might be to fit a tyre having a higher ply rating than the cardboard jobs usually fitted to wheelbarrows.

This not likely to suit ride-on mowers where a more rigid tyre might rut grass in soft conditions.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The slime isn't cheap (about 15 quid for 1.5 litres, IIRC) but it's a damn sight cheaper than repeatedly mending lawn tractor tyres or new ones at GBP22 each.

Reply to
Huge

Dead right. A fiver to get em fixed with a 20 mile round trip, or a 2 hour wrestle with levers and bowls of water. I got fed up with it frankly. Was getting 2-3 punctures per cut..

The gloop juts works..

Farmer uses it in his off road 4 wheelers that he scurries around on to check the farm out..all the tracks are alongside thorn hedges..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

some code 4 self advesive lead flashing stuck inside the tyre before inflating the inner tube - works a treat.

Reply to
Phil

What about tyre foam?

Reply to
Chris Hodges

I think that is the slime we are talking about.

In my case its fluorescent green slimy foam.

Expensive but worth it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Slime is a simple fluid, tyre foam, usually refered to as mousse, is rather different.

Reply to
badger.badger

Thought so, not used either but AIUI the foam will work better after serious damage, slime will help for a hole that's small enough to close itself up.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Is it?

Oh well. I can't say I was that bothered.waht it was called,..I got a can of bright green foamy slimy moussey goop from the garden center, and it worked.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Many thanks for all the responses - I will try the Slime and if that does not work the very thin lead flashing sounds interesting

Reply to
Robert

With Ultraseal I think 'small enough' is about 6mm diameter ;-)

'Slime' is fine for cycles but isn't man enough for bigger stuff (IMHO)..

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. Although Ultraseal is not supposed to be use *after* a puncture I have personal experience of it being used so on both a motorbike (Fireblade) and my old Sierra and neither had issues with that actual problem or further punctures after that ..

Reply to
T i m