This would make a good Grand Designs

You might be able to do something with light pipes - at least for the shallower levels.

Reply to
John Rumm

Used to have an aunt who lived there, really nice place:).

And yes a lot of DIY going on or should that be GSETDI?....

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes the coughing of the foxes and the hooting of the owl really keeps me awake.

The construction noise stops at night. The noise in London never ceases. Nor the light pollution, I really don't know how Londoners sleep at night. If the noise, light and choking atmosphere doesn't keep them awake then their consciences at being festering parasites on the rest of the country should.

Reply to
Steve Firth

When I worked in London and bought a house in mid Wales, I couldn't sleep there for the first few nights because it was too quiet.

Admittedly, the sound of running water from the stream at the bottom of the garden didn't help, as I associated that sound with *trouble* from the time I spent living on the boat. Movimg into the front bedroom sorted that one out, though.

Reply to
John Williamson

Actually, the noises of foxes screwing or asking to be screwed is one of the most annoying sounds there is.

I asked you if you knew about different types of noise. Obviously not.

Crikey. What does your therapist say?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you can put up with the tube trains rumbling by every 5 minutes.

Paid.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Pretty damn quiet up here when it's still. The motorbikes screaming along the Hartside road 4+ miles away annoy me on a nice summers day. The fast jets flying along the valley at our level are noiser but they come and go in 30 seconds tops. The motorbikes take around 5 minutes to disappear.

It's not that bad as you still have echoes from any sound you make.

But these people will be out during the day when the builders are in

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A forking multi multi millionaire and ends up living in a hole in the ground...

Its a triumph of technological opportunity and marketing, technical opportunity is the membrane with fingers that allows them to dig big holes and direct water around it and marketing to convince people that below ground is liveable.

Lived in a basement flat, lower ground of tenement, for some years, advantage is you get a lot of space for the money, comparable space on upper floors was probably 30% more expensive, huge disadvantage is lack of light.

If had the money wouldn`t be digging no deep holes, there is going to be a surfeit of property with what estate agents will end up calling extensive cellarage/storage, not living space.

Kensignton and Chelsea is a nice area with very competitive Council Tax rate, it must be beginning to hit problems with water table adjustment .,

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Delta membrane. Excellent stuff, we used it to tank a room that used to have green walls with cold running water. Perfectly dry for the last five years.

Reply to
Steve Firth

For some reason I had "paid" in my head as a past participle, like swum:

I'd like to swim, I swam yesterday, after I had swum I went straighr home.

I'd needed to pay, I payed yesterday, I have definitely paid.

But the more I stare at "payed" the more wrong it looks ! I should be hanged (or is that hung ;-)

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Some incontinent buggers do that anyway.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Fuck yes, and I have to make sure the cat's indoors, just in case he becomes supper.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Something poor people do.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Only to those to whom it is a strange and disturbing thing. As gas as sound level goes it's minor.

Noise is noise. Any claim that traffic noise is somehow more acceptable than construction noise is laughable.

Is there some special sort of curtain that keeps out the glare? If so can you inform all the hotels in London because none of them seems to fit such curtains.

Out in the country I can leave the curtains open and wake up without one of those tedious alarm clocks. I suppose to someone who lives inside a place that never goes dark that darkness is a strange concept as is sunrise, sunset and the sight if the stars.

It's only in London where everyone has a "therapist" Dave. I wouldn't even know where to start looking for one. I suspect we have more septic tank cleaners than "therapists".

Reply to
Steve Firth

Seems like it's something else you've only read about.

More bollocks.

Perhaps you need to find a better hotel. Big choice in London - you don't have to use a Holiday Inn.

You wake up at daybreak every day of the year?

I'm surprised your doctor hasn't recommended one for you. Or even insisted.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is that the fox equivalent of an after shag pizza?

Reply to
ARW

Grimly Curmudgeon

No Dave, I live in the countryside. Foxes bonking is normal noise it's really not disturbing except to our weekend guests from the smoke to whom every non-urban noise is a cause for screaming panic. The other problem they seem to have is that a significant number complain that the place is "too quiet" and "too dark". Which goes to show how far Londoners are divorced from reality.

[snip]

Ah, insult. Lost the plot I see.

Perhaps you can give me the name of a hotel that has blackout curtains that don't have a significant gap around the edge of the window. I've not yet encountered one in London. Please feel free to make another misguided ad hominem about the hotels that I stay in, I like to see displays of misplaced confidence in clairvoyance.

Yes, with the exception of the weekends when I have a lie in until around 0800. Obviously I have to wake before day break in winter but my body clock seems to have been set to wake me. I don't use an alarm clock.

[snip]

It's only Londoners who feel the need to rush to a therapist if they have some minor setback in life like discovering they have lost their debit card or some other trivia. Discovering that one disagrees with a Londoner about how vile the area inside the M25 is is not cause for "therapy" anywhere outside the M25, no matter how desperately you may wish to feel that living 24/7 in stinking pollution and constant light is, it's not. The aberrant behaviour is typical of those in the crapital, not those outside.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Nearest street light a mile away (and gets turned off before midnight) No lights from houses (all windows shuttered). No traffic noise, no gangs of teens going past, no sirens.

It's just not natural is it?

John

Reply to
JTM

I'm nearly in the same situation, but a couple of my neighbours have installed effing sodium lamps which remain on all effing night. Luckily, they're off behind some trees, and a good field away. Traffic noise drops to zero after midnight, but the road is a bit of a short cut to a village and gets regular use during the evening. It's hardly the M40, though.

Effing freaky, is what it is, looking up at the night sky and seeing things. Best place for that I had was the cottage I was in before this

- no neighbours or lights for at least a mile and the nearest village was well hidden at night. Prior to that, was at a mate's cottage up the top of The Rest near Arrochar. Pitch black doesn't begin to describe it - magical.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon