This would make a good Grand Designs

to a daily mail article about plans for a monstrous basement conversion in London)

Serious risk of damage to nearby houses and utilities if not done properly. I wonder how near the Tube is (I'm not a Londoner)

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

It's just a cut down version of what I've done.

mark

Reply to
mark

Oh

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Any pics?

Reply to
brass monkey

No, don't want the neighbours to find out.

Reply to
mark

Did you go under their house ? Have you also got a snooker table in their loft ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Or the local planning office or BCO. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It would take the "Mole Man of London" skills to do a large basement conversion without the neighbours finding out. And walking to the local shops with soil dribbling out of your trouser legs. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

If you lived in the top flat of a block, the people below might find out if you tried a similar project. Construction would be easier.

mark

Reply to
mark

ersion without the neighbours finding out. And walking to the local shops w= ith soil dribbling out of your trouser legs.

True.

Reply to
harry

What's it got to do with the neighbours anyway, providing building protocols are followed? Lot's of basement convesions are done in London with the same risks of affecting neighbouring houses despite being single storey.

There are standard protocols for dealing with tube lines - some new buildings in London have concrete piles augered in either side of the line. Not relevant here, but they know where the lines are and LuL are well used to dealing with building projects that go near them.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. If I was the neighbour, I'd be getting well in with him to get invites to the awesome parties he's going to be holding!

Reply to
Tim Watts

I wouldn't want four years of building works going on next door.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Oh $DEITY what a bunch of whining NIMBYs. The guy is doing work that they will never see and that will other them hardly at all but they have to whine.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's Lennox Gardens Mews, Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It's London and therefore it's a constant building site. Have a look on streetview as to the works going on nearby when the GoogleVan drove past.

Reply to
ARW

It would be well cool (or should I say "sick" *) to have a private entrance into the tube station at basement level. I'm sure it could be arranged if you payed enough. Need a good fire door though !

  • A friend of ours' lad joined a new school and on return told his mum he had a new fiend who was "sick". His mum was rather concerned ... Simon.
Reply to
sm_jamieson

Disruption and noise. Even a basic conversion of a cellar to living accommodation takes the thick end of a year round here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because London is such a quiet peaceful place to be.

He should build a tower block on the site to piss off the miserable Irish mare.

Reply to
Steve Firth

in London)

Or NUMBYs (or possibly NUYBY) in this case ;-)

I note the comments of "he's greedy", roughly translate to "I am green with envy".

Reply to
John Rumm

conversion in London)

Heh, you're right there. Thus really does seem to be the typical Daily Heil curtain-twitching article for the lower middle classes who have nothing to do but go ape about what the neighbours are up to.

Also true. Envy seems to be a major motivating factor. If I recall correctly something similar has already been done in Finchley. There's a road near the tube station - Bishops Avenue? I'm a bit vague on London street names.

It was a pair of billionaires who couldn't agree on design she wanted traditional he wanted ultra modern. In the end they settled for her design tastes being used for the above ground house and his for the underground part which housed swimming pool, art gallery, gym etc. IIRC the place was "Oriel House".

No complaints about that build AFAIK.

As a design solution it makes sense although lack of natural light would hack me off.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You live somewhere that is perfectly quiet? Like inside an anechoic chamber?

But perhaps you don't know the difference between the general traffic etc rumble of a large city and the annoyance of hammering and drilling etc near every day for a very long time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)