This has got me beaten !!! Can you help ?

I've got an old well in one of the rooms in our house. It's covered by a heavy disc of glass (approx 50cm/20ins. diameter). The disc is actually made from 2 discs laminated together. One of the glass discs is about 30mm/1.25 ins thick the other about 12mm/0.5ins thick. The middle of the sandwich is a 2mm layer of plastic (with glue on both sides).

Unfortunately, over time the inner plastic layer has become discolour and mottled. So I want to separate the 2 discs and remove this layer. (I know this will weaken it but I think there will still be plenty of strength, when I rejoin the discs).

Can the discs be separated? I've tried various solvents, including meths and white spirit . I've tried tapping in wooden wedges. I've tried warming the glass. But I'm stuck. Nothing seems to have much impact.

Can you offer any advice ?

Reply to
SteveC

[...]

Depending on the plastic, it is almost certainly going to give up the ghost by the time it reaches 200 C. You would need to bring the temperature up slowly and evenly to avoid thermal stresses

Reply to
Newshound

Fan oven?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Buy a new disc. If you remove the plastic and the disk does break you can expect whatever is on the disc to end up down the well. A glazing company may be able to remove the plastic and rebond them to save a bit of cash.

Reply to
dennis

=============================== You could try 'Nitromors' paint stripper because it's known to attack some plastics. I think it would be a long process if it worked at all.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

That's what I'd do.

I don't think so, we bought some of this to make a window in the concrete roof of an underground space (actually an old air raid shelter used as a den by the children). We got an off cut very cheaply at the glazier's, I think they buy it in ready made.

But I could be wrong, it has been known :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Many Thanks for the various suggestions.

This evening I tried Nitromors (paintstripper) but because it can only work on the edge of the plastic layer, it would take weeks to get anywhere. I like the oven idea to soften the glue, but the disc is far too big for my oven.

I think I may look up the firm we bought it from to see if they can help. It cost =A3400 12 years ago, so I don't want to buy a replacement.

Thanks Again Steve.

Reply to
SteveC