thinking of fitting a multifuel stove

On Sunday 14 April 2013 01:08 The Natural Philosopher wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Unless the old chimney is dripping with tar I fail to see why?

Sure, the liner radiates a lot of heat[1], but I would be very impressed if that managed to cause hot jets of gas to blast through gaps in the mortar and still be hot enough to cause combustion.

[1] Which I regard as a good thing - it puts heat into the core of a huge lump of masonry right in the centre of my house which gives some background heat to other parts and acts as a buffer.

Mine is a single skin SS liner installed in a brick flue by a HETAS installer, with no vermiculite. Obviously his judgement was based on seeing the chimney.

Reply to
Tim Watts

As far as I know there isn't any requirement for open fires.

Sensible to get it swept.

If it hasn't been used for 40 years then also sensible to have a smoke test to confirm no leaks - at my MILs the smoke bomb showed smoke coming out in between the bricks of the chimney.

I hadn't considered fitting a liner for an open fire - not sure how you would terminate it above the fireplace.

My thought would be to have the chimney checked by a sweep. If it appears sound then you are good to go. If it appears unsound and needs a liner then I would fit some kind of stove; not much extra cost after the liner and a much more efficient source of heat.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

In message , Tim Watts writes

I don't think you are allowed to use single skin for an enclosed woodburner. The insulated twin wall is sectional and costs several arms and legs. SS twin wall is little thicker than single but the inner scroll is lapped so that condensate can't penetrate. There is a little arrow to show which way is *up*.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

On Sunday 14 April 2013 19:39 Tim Lamb wrote in uk.d-i-y:

If it was double, it didn;t look like it. How thick is double skin? Less than a cm?

Reply to
Tim Watts

more like 4-6cm

The Natural Philosopher

Someone I know had a stove installed and the idiots who did it managed to do so with the arrows the wrong way up! What realistic difference is it likely to make? (Only for interest - not currently in contact with the person.)

Reply to
polygonum

On Sunday 14 April 2013 22:05 The Natural Philosopher wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Mine is single skin which is what I thought.

Before anyone argues, I trust the installer.

- Tim Watts Personal Blog:

Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal coverage

Reading this on the web? See:

Tim Watts

In message , Tim Watts writes

Yes. 5mm at a guess.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have a *left-over* length if anyone wants to experiment:-)

I think the idea is than any liquid tars condensing in the flue will trickle back down to the fire rather than finding their way through the liner and into the flue proper.

I guess condensing tars will depend on fuel, combustion temp. length of flue etc.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The sectional, mineral wool insulated. liner has 4 to 6 cm wall thickness.

The flexable twin wall liner is less than a cm thick, maybe less than 5 mm.

The flexable twin wall stuff does look like single wall at a casual glance.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

As above the over lap of the strip making up the liner is such that when fitted the right way up any condensate flows down the inside of the liner. Fit it the wrong way up any condesate may flow out of the liner:

The join between the strips is not that simple, they interlock, but there is still a risk that the condensate will seep out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Monday 15 April 2013 08:28 Tim Lamb wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That's plausible then. I didn;t ask...

Reply to
Tim Watts