Things stolen - not strictly DIY

quite right and the crazy thing is that if there is no money in the account,they'll probably bounce the cheques so you'll have a result!!,your account is just run by a big machine that doesnt know you are being ripped off,,, Remove antispam and add 670 after bra to email

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUME>CONFORM>OBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Post this message on uk.legal they know their stuff on there!

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Try uk.legal.moderated or even uk.finance

-- LSR

Reply to
Elessar

I wish people would stop believing that having an account with a bank for a long period of time makes any difference. 30 years / 30 minutes...it makes absolutely no difference.

Of course the banks would like you to believe this myth so you don't change accounts when they piss you off.

M.

Reply to
Markus Splenius

A charge is often incurred to bounce cheques :<

Reply to
Ian Stirling

yes sort of. My wife had her cards lifted while in the library just before xmas before last. Bright and early next morning in a 40min spree they walked into main bank branches (including RBS) in Edinburgh and withdrew amounts in the order of £800 per transaction. The credit limits on the credit cards were exceeded but apparently this was not a problem. Credit cards and the Barclays account were cleared up quickly, no problems though it took time and we had a lean xmas.

RBS on the other hand were terrible, instead of my branch handling things they tried to get us to deal with the branch in Edinburgh. They refused to credit the money until the police finished the investigation.

I strongly suggest you complain, loudly and persistently, we wrote a letter to the manager, we were polite but very firm. We noted that RBS were the only institution who had yet failed to return the money. The thing was wrapped up fast, and we got two bottles of wine out of them to say sorry.

Oh yes, we mentioned the words banking ombudsman in the letter, in the part about what would happen if we were not satisfied.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Well they have p'd me off and I have been in today and taken all the money in cash out of my two accounts. 30 years or 30 minutes. Prbably what has hurt them is the amount I have taken.

I have told them I will not pay for any cheques since I have not written any. I will not pay for any switch transactions since I have had my switch card stolen. There is no pin number ( except in my head) and if someone has accepted a chip and pin switch card without a pin number then thats their fault! The fact that my switch card is also a cheque guarentee card does not make me responsible for honouring the fraudulent cheques. I told them to bounce the bl**dy cheques and be done with.

The answer was odd - they couldnt bounce the cheques because if they did it would not be fraud ???? Work that one out! They said I would get my money back after an investigation! I have now seen these cheques , they dont have anything like my signiture on them. The shops should never have taken them.

Offending shops by the way ( apparently it is well known to the bank and the thieves that these shops will cash frauded cheques and ask no questions..... Debehams, Woolworths, Argos House of Fraser. Also several "tat chains" - those selling rubbish and cheap clothes and sports wear.

I have moved all my money out . Given instructions to pay ONLY my current bills and left them with barely enough to do that. Told them if they needed more for that then to phone me and I would bring them cash - but only to pay my bills.

I couldnt organise a bank account quickly enough to make a transfer of account. I couldnt stop my pay because its gone. It hasnt been credited yet, but tomorrow or Friday I will be drawing it all out via cash.

The bank do tell me the money is mone and I am entitled to take it out and away in cash!!!! Or through an ATM if I wish.

They claim I will not incurr charges for the account running into debt if frauded cheques exceed the amount in the account. They claim I will get all my money back - eventually. They dont say when. Since as of this morning there have been some £800 of cheques gone through I do not trust them.

They also say they will pay all my DD and SO's without my incurring any charges whatver the apparent state of the account.

The stolen cheque book was a new book. If each cheque were for £100 , thats £2,500 to come in and be debited! I do not see why I should have to accept that.

I dont see why they cannot just bounce the cheques back to Debenhams as "Stolen - refuse to pay" on them I dont see why they need them to go through my account so that they can "demonstrate fraud" .

I think its all c*ck eyed.

I will be changing accounts. I will close this one as soon as I can organise it to be done. The bank admit they cannot stop me.

I were running round though when I went in and demanded my money and told them it was safer in a sock than with them in front of a bank full of customers. The manager came to try and talk me out of it and thats how I got to see the cheques and signitures etc.

I have told them that I will not pay for bounced cheques on a stolen book and card which were reported and should have been stopped.

I have closed my deposit account.

No way am I leaving them with more than a few hundred pounds in that account.

I walked up the road with a five figure sum in a plain brown envelope and put it in the Building Society. The building society could accept it all in my one account and had to open a second one for it.

Whilst RBS cannot question frauded cheques, the building society wanted to know where I had got my money from before they accepted it. Would you credit it? ( sorry about the pun)

Sorry to have gone on at length. I hope others remomber this in case it happens to them ( God forbid it does)

Reply to
mich

My advice would be to write a polite but firm letter to the Chief Exec. at the RBS if your case is not resolved locally. It's amazing how a phone call from his Edinburgh office sorts out the locals !! I have personal local experience !

Pete (RBS bank officer - retired)

Reply to
Peter Stockdale

"mich" wrote | The answer was odd - they couldnt bounce the cheques because if they | did it would not be fraud ???? Work that one out!

If they bounce the cheques, the money isn't taken from your account, so no fraud is perpetrated -- against you. There would be fraud against the store that gave value for the cheque.

| Offending shops by the way ( apparently it is well known to the bank | and the thieves that these shops will cash frauded cheques and ask | no questions..... Debehams, Woolworths, Argos House of Fraser. Also | several "tat chains" - those selling rubbish and cheap clothes and | sports wear.

Most stores have poorly-paid untrained staff. It's been shown that shops will accept cheques signed Mickey Mouse. You could possibly take a civil action against those stores to recover your money - each amount is likely to be below the small claims threshold.

| Whilst RBS cannot question frauded cheques, the building society | wanted to know where I had got my money from before they | accepted it. Would you credit it? ( sorry about the pun)

I think any cash transaction over £5k has to be reported to The Authorities in case it's moneylaundering. The building soc would have to show it took reasonable steps to satisfy itself the money wasn't the proceeds of crime.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes, this is normal now. They ask where it came from and write it on the back.

I got a few looks when I handed in a cheque for 60,000GBP in the Whitley branch of Barclays, though! Shame it wasn't mine to spend, though...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Did you have somebody riding shotgun? ;-)

My son was always amused if I drove that way to go to B&Q because I would always lock the car doors.

That was until one day when we stopped at a junction and somebody grabbed the handle of the passenger door and tried to open it..... They'd seen him using his mobile phone.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

You stopped at a junction?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

I might be an innocent - although I've had various bank ccounts since 1945 - but what's the problem with withdrawing all your money and cancelling all payments, as well as stopping payments in?

Of course you have card protection too.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Basically I don't pay any charges at all for running any of my cheque or deposit accounts, indeed they pay me for having the accounts open and in credit. This is with High Street banks not obscure ones or tiny building societies.

Me too. HSBC and First Direct.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Once the bank(s) have been told you the customer are no longer liable for the losses but the fraudulant transactions will still appear on your account.

Those charges and any incurred as knock ons due to a genuine payment not being honoured the bank should pick up as well. Mind you banks being banks you *will* almost certainly have to spell out and provide supporting evidence of any other associated losses.

I wouldn't be at all suprised that the banks can come chasing you with the force of law for anything you owe them before or after you close an account. The key is telling the bank(s) as soon as you loose you card(s) or cheque book(s) don't put it off 'till the morning as generally you are liable untill you tell 'em. And the fraudsters know that with cards at least they have very short time before the card number is blocked, cheques are a little different.

Card Protection is really only a single point of contact for all your card issuers. Looks in wallet at a good dozen or so bits of plastic, it would be a right PITA having to find the numbers for and call each issuer if my wallet went AWOL. One call to the card protection Co and everything is stopped and new cards ordered.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, we've used it for years.

But there are a couple of PsITA, one is ensuring that the information is updated every time you get a new or replacement card - that means listing them ALL again.

The other is tht if you lose just one card and report it ALL the cards on your list are stopped.

That might have been changed now but it happened twice to us a few years ago. It was a great inconvenience but worth the hassle. Even though on one occasion the card had been used we weren't held liable.

Speed of reporting is vital.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I work for HSBC but am also a student who has come across this in my studies

firstly, under Section 24 of the Bills of Exchange Act 1882 (yes this is still the basis of the legal position today!!) a forged drawer's signature is inoperative; therefore the cheque is invalid. in essence if the customer's signature is forged the bank has no authority to pay, and if it does has no authority to debit the customer's account. (although this presumably doesnt stop the 'available' balance being different from the statement balance)

on the guarantee side however one would imagine the situation is different, but even though the Banking Code states that the cheque books and cards should be kept apart, the legal position is that the bank is not entitled to debit the customers account when if has paid a forged cheque, and this is unaffected by the fact that a cheque card was presented along with the forged cheque quote the section of the act to the manager.....

Ian

Reply to
why1001

I am always weary of anything with the word Royal in it. The co-op speaks for itself.

to open account

Reply to
IMM

had it for years and its still happening. I reported all the cards stolen before then shops opened and I am still paying. I also doubly reported all the cards individually to the card companies and the bank separately ( belt and braces approach - again all before any were used!)

I am not sure anymore what I have been paying insurance for!

Having said that, they only stroppy Buggers are the Royal bank of Scotland ( switch, cheque book credit card). My other credit/ bank facility ( Co operative Bank) have been brilliant!

Reply to
mich