thin walled 19mm socket?

Hi, my standard 19mm socket will not fit the hole on the flywheel to tighten the nut up. I broke the two I ground to fit the hole before the required torque was applied. Can anyone point me to a reasonably priced 19mm thin walled socket? ta

Reply to
misterroy

What about Britool, or Snapon?

Reply to
Michael Chare

There seem to be plenty around Ebay/Amazon/Google. 19mm seems to the be one of the standard alloy wheel stud sizes and where thin deep walls are a necessity for recessed studs.

Reply to
alan_m

Example

Possibly the "alloy wheel protective layer" can be removed to give better clearance.

Reply to
alan_m

I have seen them, on Amazon, but without it in my hand I cant tell if it could be stripped down to a useful size. Anyone got one?

Reply to
misterroy

box spanner

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

box spanner is too thick at the corners, it would be easier to grind into shape though.

Reply to
misterroy

How about a tubular box spanner?

Reply to
Capitol

Is this a nut onto a fixed stud or is it a bolt you are attempting to tighten? If the latter change the bolt from one with a hex head to one that take a Torx or Hex key.

What's the diameter of the hole you need to fit though?

26mm outside diameter
alan_m

BTW, hidden in their speciality sockets is the specifications for the

19mm with the alloy wheel protection sleeve. These appear to be 30mm in diameter.

alan_m

Grinding down by hand as it were isn't ideal as it's not likely to be accurate, so have weak spots. Turning down on a lathe would be better.

Halfords pro range seem to be as slim sockets as I've seen for any given size. If not, you may find say a 3/8 rather than 1/2 drive type is slightly smaller.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, it's the thinnest thing there is. Grind away - who know whether it will survive in use though. If not, time to look for another approach entirely. When all else fails, I resort to welding metal onto a nut/bolt/etc to undo it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

the problem with the lathe is the socket is hard, so will have to be annealed, then hardend and tempered. I have a 3/8 set and the outer diameter is about the same as the 1/2 inch set. The hole has a 26mm internal thread, which is cut from a 24.5 mm hole. thanks

Reply to
misterroy

aled, then hardend and tempered. I have a 3/8 set and the outer diameter is about the same as the 1/2 inch set. The hole has a 26mm internal thread, w hich is cut from a 24.5 mm hole.

it is a nut I am trying to tighten, got to 100 nm before the socket gave up , 140 is the target

Reply to
misterroy

Ages ago, I had a spark plug socket turned down to fit an early Rover V8. You can clearly see it was turned on a lath rather than ground. I've no idea how it was actually done - perhaps a diamond tipped tool? But it certainly wasn't heated, as the remaining chrome would show that.

However, there clearly is a suitable socket available - otherwise how was the part fitted?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bit late in the day I know, but is the torque wrench accurate?

Reply to
Capitol

misterroy explained :

You would have to use a grinder, rigidly attached to the lathe bed, to grind it to size.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I spent longer trying to shop for the right part than it did to put it together in the end. I went out to the shed and cut off the crumpled end part of the socket. Mounted the socked on the hand drill and held the angle grinder in the other hand. Two thirty second blasts took it down to size. Torqued up and ready to go. thansk

Reply to
misterroy

It's often the way. There's an odd fear of ad hoc tools in the uk.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr