Thin, soft foam from where please?

It is only about 2mm thick but how about the blown protective foam that often comes around delicate consumer goods like TVs and laptops?

Something like this:

Reply to
Martin Brown

I think I know the stuff you are talking about (how it looks / feels rather than what you can see from the link) but I think by definition, anything that offers any form of 'protection' is probably going to be too 'stiff' (in a micro sense) for this particular job (but thanks very much for taking the time etc). ;-)

I think it's a bit like the very 'light' foam you get for sealing up gaps around older doors and windows. It has to be 'expanded' enough to fill the gap but insignificant enough to allow the door to close.

In the case of this heater, because the sealing edge is quite irregular, it might be best that any foam isn't 'skinned' (like to draught sealing foam) as that might allow it to be more compliant.

This should be a picture of one part of the heater that happens to have flatter sealing edges (although the flaps themselves aren't particularly flat):

You should still be able to see in the on the left hand corner in the remains of the foam how flat the foam is where it has been squashed over the years. If it can't squash like that, especially near the hinge the flap won't close properly.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

No, it's an Escort based cheaper equivalent!

I think I've seen the type of foam described, as very coarse foam but only in filters for equipment.

Reply to
Capitol

Would the 'craft foam' sheets used by shildren for making stuff be suitable?

ebay search for 'EVA craft foam' shows up lots.

It looks like closed cell to me, and is available in single sheets (many colours) in A3, A4 sizes etc. Local craft shops also sell it, as do Aldidl from time to time.

HTH Jon N

Reply to
jkn

I can't see from the pictures just how soft the foam is so will get some to find out. ;-)

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I'm not sure it's cheaper even. We paid more for the kit *then* than we have pair for any car since!

Yes, I'd say (from the remains of the old foam) that it was fairly coarse so you may well be right.

I have some more samples on the way so hopefully I will be able to tell soon.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m