Thin panel pins 1.06mm shank dia

I bought a box of Challenge 5/8" panel pins today to top up my supply, but when I compared them (at home) with the existing ones there is a marked difference in the shank diameter. The new ones have a diameter of 1.41mm whereas the ones I've currently got are only 1.06mm in diameter.

What other kind of "panel" pin would be this thin? I can't remember where I got the original size from or the brand. I need the thin ones!

MM

Reply to
MM

ISTR that thinner ones are(were?) called veneer pins, although I don't know who would be likely to nail veneer on :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Ah, yes, I've just done a search and Challenge do these, too. This is what I should have asked for. I'm making drawer inserts from 5mm MDF and the pins needed to hold the various dividers in place while the glue dries must be really thin so as not to cause splitting.

MM

Reply to
MM

Escutcheon pins?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Also known as moulding pins.

Nick

In article , Nick writes

Helpful

Why be such an asshole in such a helpful group?

Reply to
fred

En el artículo , fred escribió:

He gave a helpful link to a google search for moulding pins. What's your problem?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yes.

How so? The google page referenced shows a list of them.

Reply to
grimly4

Yeah, I didn't see what the problem was, either.

MM

Reply to
MM

In article , MM writes

Blind links to well known services are rarely meant as helpful pointers, they're normally used to imply, 'how could you be so stupid not to find this for yourself'.

Why not post, 'try searching for moulding pins' if not trying to be clever? It's not as if you're a usenet/web noob.

Reply to
fred

Unreserved apology to the helpful poster/link provider (Nick).

If you use a browser without automatic redirection, the tinyurl resolves to:

led me to believe that the link was a dig at the o/p.

If you view the link with automatic redirection on then the link shows a helpful list of results.

Again, thanks to Nick and apologies for my error, I will look more deeply into tinyurl's hidden depths in future.

Reply to
fred

writes

for yourself'.

Oh do f*ck right off you tedious bell-end.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Did you not see the apology posted at 10.42?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Correct, I did not. I still can't see it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Ah, yes, I've just done a search and Challenge do these, too. This is what I should have asked for. I'm making drawer inserts from 5mm MDF and the pins needed to hold the various dividers in place while the glue dries must be really thin so as not to cause splitting.

MM

Years ago when making photo frames from small moulding we held the corners with panel pins. The trick was to lick/suck the pin before driving it to stop it splitting the moulding. Sounds strange but it worked.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred

When you think about it, it's probably the reduction in friction that does it. The saliva is enough for the nail to 'slide' past the wood fibres. Well, that's my theory! I must say, it's a new one on me, though I don't get any splitting *as long as* I use the veneer pins and not the panel pins. Just the extra 0.5mm thickness of the latter makes 'em too thick. On the previous drawer insert, which admittedly was a bit of a prototype, I had a couple of such splits, but just dribbled some wood glue in the split, then applied a small G-glamp overnight.

MM

Reply to
MM

I always knock the pointy end lightly with the hammer to blunt it. That's an old trick.

Reply to
grimly4