Thick draft excluder sealing strip required

Hi

Our front door appears to be warped and has a large gap at the bottom. A previous owner fitted a copper leaf sealing strip which seems to do a good job but is damaged in places. Is this type of strip still available?

If I use a conventional foam or rubber sealing strip, it needs to be at least 10mm thick. The strips in the diy superstores are only suitable for 3mm or 5mm gaps. Where can I source 10mm strips?

Thanks

David

Reply to
dandbnews

A strip of 5mm ply and a 5mm sealing strip? Would that work, or catch on anything?

Reply to
Jason

Phospher bronze more likely than copper which isn't springy enough. I fairly sure I saw it for sale on the web somewhere in the last 12 months. Can I find it now, can I f...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes its the biz Once called Atomic strip, now available as Proper Copper Draught Strip See Ebay

Mark

Would something like this do the job?

Available as thick as 25mm.

bought some for the doors on my van!

Reply to
Tom Woods

|!On 18 Feb 2007 11:56:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@talktalk.net wrote: |! |!> A previous owner fitted a copper leaf sealing strip which seems to do |!> a good job but is damaged in places. Is this type of strip still |!> available? |! |!Phospher bronze more likely than copper which isn't springy enough. I |!fairly sure I saw it for sale on the web somewhere in the last 12 months. |!Can I find it now, can I f...

Phosphor Bronze sealing strip IME beats foam hands down every time. Search for it.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Thanks for that - may have a use for that on my wife's sports car.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Hi

Thanks very much for your replies.

The 'Proper Copper Draught Strip' is available but I guess from another reply its not as good as phosphor bronze?

With the 'Proper Copper Draught Strip', which comes in a roll, how do you angle the strip to close the gap between door and frame?

If anyone knows of a supplier of phosphor bronze strip, please let me know.

David

Reply to
dandbnews

|!Hi |! |!Thanks very much for your replies. |! |!> Yes its the biz |!> Once called Atomic strip, now available as Proper Copper Draught Strip |!> See Ebay

colour of the strip shown there looks a bit too copper, Phosphor bronze is a bit yellower. Contact the seller to confirm that the material is phosphor bronze.

|!I'm a little confused. I can't find a phosphor bronze strip online. |!The 'Proper Copper Draught Strip' is available but I guess from |!another reply its not as good as phosphor bronze? |! |!With the 'Proper Copper Draught Strip', which comes in a roll, how do |!you angle the strip to close the gap between door and frame?

There is a slight fold down the length, you pin it down to the frame, then have to bend it along the fold, which requires some force.

|!If anyone knows of a supplier of phosphor bronze strip, please let me |!know.

They are relying on the ignorance of Joe public calling it copper rather than phosphor bronze. No one in their right mind would make copper draught excluder. Unless they are Sharks selling something which can not work.

To test it *hold* a bit on a flat surface, with one inch overlapping the edge. Ping that bit, if it is phosphor bronze it will Ping, and return to what it was, if copper it will clunk and stay bent.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Looking at the eBay item previously linked to the name might just be normal, inaccurate, marketing.

I have vague memories of a roller type tool bit like a blunt pizza wheel used to put a kink in the strip, thus springing it out from the jamb. I don't know but I suspect the way of fitting would be pin it to the jamb (pin holes are along one edge every few inches) then put a straight edge over the pins and run the roller along.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You wont, as I said the original marketing name for this was atomic strip

Its comes bent like _/ with pre-drilled holes for nailing in the _ part.

-
Reply to
Mark

I fitted this strip -thirty-three years ago! It's still performing well. I had to cut out triangles of the strip where it is mounted into corners - the 'springy' edge is closer into the void and the two edges interfere with each other- pin the nailing strip to the frame then remove a small triangle from the spring-edge then bend into the fame -continue pinning.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Well since spring strip phosphor bronze contains 95% copper that's not surprising. All you seem to have done is confuse the OP.

Reply to
Mark

|!> |!Hi |!> |! |!> |!Thanks very much for your replies. |!> |! |!> |!> Yes its the biz |!> |!> Once called Atomic strip, now available as Proper Copper Draught Strip |!> |!> See Ebay

|!>|!> The colour of the strip shown there looks a bit too copper, Phosphor |!> bronze |!> is a bit yellower. Contact the seller to confirm that the material is |!> phosphor bronze. |!>

|! |!Well since spring strip phosphor bronze contains 95% copper that's not |!surprising.

but is still a different colour.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop