Thermostatic TRV, can the head just be replaced

The thermostatic head appears to have broken from one of my radiators. Given that I don't want to have to drain the system etc, can I just change the actual head part? Are these interchangeable with other makes?

The TRV is a Bulldog make. Every page I have looked at, it comes as a set with the lockshield.

Thanks.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

You can certainly buy spare heads for more expensive TRVs such as the Drayton TRV4 - but I don't know about Bulldogs (apparently made by Pegler). Since you can buy the whole thing, including a lockshield, for about £12, maybe you can't buy just the head.

Don't assume you can mix and match with other makes - that is unlikely.

I would buy a complete new TRV of the same type (if you can't just buy the head) and then put the new head which comes with it onto your existing valve, which you can do without needing to drain down.

Reply to
Roger Mills

In message , Steven Campbell writes

Yes, though you might find it difficult to source it, and if you can it probably won't be much cheaper - it may even cost more than a complete unit. Certainly when I went looking for a replacement head for a Drayton TRV4 a few years back it was cheaper and easier to just buy a new complete unit, and swap the head over

Not necessarily, though some might be.

They do seem to be just available as the set, but for TRV's they are relatively cheap, so maybe that is whay, since a new set is online for around £12 I'd just go for that, and swap the head.

Reply to
chris French

If it's a Pegler you may be lucky and find it is generally interchangable. If you have a Wickes near you it may be worth a visit as they sometimes have dump bins of trv heads for a few pounds.

Reply to
Ericp

Thanks guys but it was an epic fail on my part. All the TRV's on my rads are Bulldogs except the one that broke!! Trust me to just check the make of the one next to the PC!! I remember now I bought and fitted that TRV myself as it was on a towel radiator that I already had installed before getting my central heating changed!!

The one that broke is a "Lifestyle" one (probably bought from B&Q) but I've managed to track a replacement head down to

again.

Reply to
Steven Campbell