Thermostatic shower valve - water too hot

Hello,

I've just installed an Ibtorbre shower/bath mixer, but am having trouble getting an acceptable temperature. Even with the temp set to it's lowest setting, the water is still too warm. It has a pair of valves that look adjustable, the instructions make no mention of these though. Can anyone offer any advice? It's supplied by a 2 bar pump. I'm fairly sure the cold supply is fine (the flow valve only operates on the cold side).

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
Zippy

Beware that some screws on thermostatic valves are factory set and I've heard dire warnings about tampering with such settings. However, this may be fine on your mixer, so please take my caution with reasonable suspicion.

Could there be a blockage on the cold supply to the mixer? When doing a new installation they always tell you to flush the pipework before you add the final mixer so that all the crud doesn't end up in the nice new unit.

On my standard mixer unit (not the same as yours) you can reassemble it with the control skewed off to the hot side. Therefore, even turning it down to full cold doesn't make the shower run cold. I'm presuming that's what happened with the previous owner, because when I moved in the twit had replumbed the cold supply to the shower so that instead of coming from the cold loft cistern it came from the mains.

This meant that the balance was all off: hot from tank, cold from mains. Eventually after much puzzling I cleaned the filters, reset the skewed control and re-plumbed the cold back to the cistern. And it's been magic for 7 years now.

HTH

Mungo

Reply to
mungoh

Thanks for that, but the solution turned out to be a touch of brute force. In frustration I gave the temp control a very firm twist - and obviously freed something off, because then it continued to turn twice more, giving me cold water!

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
Zippy