Thermostatic shower valve

The manufacturers of my shower say the thermostatic "cartridge" which goes into the shower valve has probably packed up. They say it happens after five years or so.

Why would it be expected to go wrong after such a relatively short period?

Reply to
bagno

Are you in a hard water area? it may be the cause. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Hard water blocks it.

Reply to
ericp

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember bagno saying something like:

As the others say, hard water. Sometimes just bad design - I replaced one that had simply shorn off at the spindle. Of course, Triton couldn't have used the older design of cartridge which worked perfectly well and was much more robust; no, they had to go and design a new crappy one which cost twice as much, and the replacement still had the shit weak point in it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon