Thermostatic shower problem

Page 1 of 2
Hi there,
I've recently moved into a house which is around 3 to 4 years old and there is a thermostatic shower fitted in the bathroom.
The only problem is that it isn't very hot - The dial goes from 0 to 9 and it only has warmth to the output between 8 and 9, with 8 being mildly warm and 9 being just warm enough to shower.
The water flow rate and heat from other taps is very good - The cold is very fast and the hot has a slower flow rate (but not bad by any means) The hot water is also nice and hot (too hot to wash with on it's own)
The hot water comes from a combi boiler which I assume is fed via the cold mains pressure (i.e no tank)
Anyway, is this just an indication of the fact that the shower is knackered and needs replacing? Or that the system is "inbalanced" in some way in that the cold water which has a higher flow rate is just "overpowering" the hot when mixed.
Basically my question is should I just get a new one fitted or are thermostatic showers usually fitted with some means of adjusting the input ratio of hot to water? The shower is made by Sirrus - Are they any good?
Any ideas (or suggestions as to an affordable make and decent quality thermostatic shower)?
Cheers
Cubik
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:41:33 -0000, "Cubik"

This may simply be that the boiler is not producing enough hot water, or it could be the shower.
At this time of year, the mains cold water is quite cold - 8 degrees is fairly typical.
It would be useful to know the make and model of the boiler.
You could usefully measure the flow rate and temperature from a hot tap. Use a container of a known size - e.g. a 5 litre bucket and time how long it takes to fill. THen you can work out the flow rate.
Now measure the flow rate of the shower. To give you an idea, a shower needs to be at about 40 degrees so you can work out how much cold is added to what the boiler is producing. Obviously if the flow rate from the shower is greater than from your hot tap it means that either a fair amount of cold is being mixed in or that it is simply passing through the boiler more quickly when feeding the shower, which also means that the water reachin the shower will be cooler anyway.
This will give you an idea of whether the limiting factor is the boiler or the shower.
I think it's worth doing this exercise before you rush off an buy a new shower simply because it could easily be that the boiler is the limiting factor.
In terms of new showers, I would look at Mira, Aqualisa, Grohe, HansGrohe.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

It is highly unlikely that the boiler is not up to it. If the boiler is not delivering the heat and flow for just one shower then the boiler is faulty in some way.

Without knowing the figures, that is pure conjecture.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

A smallish combi can handle the average shower, unless a drencher is used

One of my showers - Aqualisa with a standard valve, hose and standard showerhead (not one of the large drench types or multiple heads delivers around 20 litres per minute..
How would you suggest that a 9-11 lpm combi could deliver its needs when the cold water temperature is 5 to 8 degrees, the shower operating temperature is 40 and the boiler is specified to give a 35 degree temperature rise?
... or did you mean something akin to an electric shower..??

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

The smallish combi will be running flat out, but it will deliver a good shower.

How? 9-11lpm is only about half of 20.......

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

You add cold to take the flow up and 10 litres a minutes is a good economical and environmentally friendly shower. I the USA local,utilities went around to each home and fitted flow regulators free to each shower giving a 8 litres/min shower. Few complained about performance. They saved building another power station, with the power saved from wasting unnecessarily heated water.

Hang on a second. If the water going into the boiler is at 5 degrees and it uplifts the temperature by 35 degrees, that takes it to 40 degrees by my addition. This is shower temperature. Where is the scope for adding more cold?
10lpm is not much more than an electric shower and they are certainly disappointing. It may be environmentally friendly, but it's not much cop is it? If you are going to follow this line of reasoning then you might as well advocate not showering at all - that's even more environmentally friendly from one perspective but not that much from another.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Electric showers are about 5 l/min. A combi will burn about 22 kW to get 10 litres/min. I know of no 22 kW electric shower.

10 litres/min shower under mains pressure is very good.

Lots of cop. People want the high pressure against their skin, the volume is not that important to them.

10lpm is only 10lpm.

Generalisation. You can't speak for everybody.
A small volume rate under high pressure implies a shower head with small jets. This is not comfortable.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Not a generalisation, that is what most people want.

You've asked them?.. commissioned a Gallup poll? ... enlisted marketing help from Alastair Campbell?

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Read the section on water conservation in this months mag Selfbuild and Design.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

It says 7 litres/min is more than adequate, as was in the USA, and 5 l/min should be aimed for.

Big deal. I don't really care what they say. It depends on your definition of adequate.
You might as well say that a milk float is adequate. It is if you're delivering milk in the wee small hours and don't want to wake people up and perhaps if you have a old one for taking stuff to the tip, but apart from that, its uses are limited.
I've got a book entitled "101 uses for a Dead Cat". I'll add "shower provision according to IMM" to it.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Your is obviously way out the norm. Because you like drenchers, it doesn't mean that is the norm for 99% of the population.

IMM wrote:

US showerheads are limited by code in some states to 3 gal/m (~11 l/m) They were not happy at this infringement of their civil liberties, hence illicit cross border trade in drenchers.
--
Toby.