thermostatic mixer - use their restrictor or pressure reducer ?

The bar mixer I am fitting is supposed to have flow restrictors in the two inlet adapters when used with a combi boiler (i.e high pressure). BUT, it has arrived with some of the small plastic restrictor parts missing. Before I go through the hassle of returns/complaints etc, would I obtain a better result by using something different in the supply pipes? Such as an adjustable pressure reducer / balancer. The instructions say when you have the restrictor, always use the shower on full. Seems a bit crude to me. I guess the pressure/flow needs to be controlled so the inlet ports dont have to be nearly closed all the time. Also, the inlet pipes would at present be unrestricted cold mains inlet, and restricted flow (by the combi I guess) on hot, i.e. turn cold/hot taps on full, cold discharges faster. Would a balance be a worthwhile addition ? TIA, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Hi,

I'd have thought the flow restrictors are used when there's a big difference between hot/cold inlet pressure, could be worth ringing them up to ask.

In any case it might be easier to retrofit a gate valve on the CW supply to the mixer somewhere if need be, makes it possible to adjust flow without taking the mixer off.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C