Thermo cartridge replacement for shower

Apologies for (almost) repeating my post within the same day, but it occurs to me that the question should be more straightfoward.

Has anyone here replaced the cartridge (only) from a thermostatic shower system, and if so is it a trivial or non-trivial DIY activity?

My general preference would be to avoid playing with anyhing that involves water, but if this is a simple unscrew, remove, push in, screw in place type DIY job I'll give it a go.

(We have two water mains at our house, and fortunately the shower that this affects is on the one that affects the fewest of the other taps in the house so if it all goes wrong I can at least turn it off at the mains and still leave us with drinking water!)

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

It would help if you said what make and model. I have done it on a Mira 915ba and it was easy, but it needed a *big* spanner and it was a left hand thread.

Reply to
dennis

Sorry, it is a Gainsorough Ambassador (concealed) of about 1999 manufacture.

I suspect the strength required may be my undoing.....

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

Yes on a Mira Excel it was straightforward, if you hover on eBay long enough one slips by at a reasonable price ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Look at the diagrams on this site:

may help you to see what to expect.

Reply to
John

> It may help you to see what to expect.

I looked at that and I can't see how the cartridge is held in.

Reply to
dennis

It's not overly clear but save the image then view it with an graphics program so you can zoom in. My guess from the four holes in the gasket (4) and 4 holes in the Housing (2) that there are 4 screws in the outside recess of the cartridge (6).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice