Thermilate - insulating additive for paint

Anyone any experience of using stuff like Thermilate

- an additive for paint that provides a significant insulation effect, or so it is claimed?

Any comments on its likely effectiveness / likely problems?

thanks tony

Reply to
Tony

What exactly are you using it for? If you are intending to go into an environment where all the heat gained and lost will be through radiation when your rocket engines are not involved, use it by all means. I imagine silver paint would be just as effective otherwise.

Most reflective paints will return radiation, white paint being the best at it but what you are likely to lose in a room is minimal to say the least. With all the European directives and all the architectural standards we have in the UK I should imagine that such a product would be widely used by now if it was worth the bother. I don't know how good it is but it wasn't enough to cope without the mass and volume added to the last space shuttle so disasterously, was it?

So... are you selling it or what?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

You cynic you! No, I live in a house with walls made of two skins of stone with a rubble infill. The inside faces of the external walls are either exposed stone or rough plastered and they're both cold. I just wondered whether this product had any mileage for me. I take your point about the product not being widely used... tony

Reply to
Tony

It claims to keep the heat in by reflecting radiated heat back and providing an insulating layer of hollow beads embedded in the paint. You're bound to notice the slightly bumpy finish to the paint when it's done and I wonder how effective a 1mm thick barrier of hollow beads can be at insulating. Having said that it's not a lot of money and I might be tempted to try it in a small room.

Rgds

Andy R

Reply to
Andy R