Thermal Imaging Camera?

Page 5 of 5

    I bought one of these 12 or so months ago. They have one huge drawback, in that the infra-red emitted by a body is influenced by the surface finish of said body as well as its temperature.
    For example, last week I was checking the temperature of the external surface of a twin walled flue pipe, which is galvanised, the thermometer showed about 22C. I taped a piece of black paper to the flue, it then measured about 140C, which was somewhat nearer to the mark.
    The thermometers are calibrated to read accurately on a "neutral" background, similar to the grey cards that are used for accurate photographic exposures. Different surfaces emit different levels of infra-red at the same temperature, so allowances (and care) have to be made...
--
Regards,

Will.