Thermal Imaging Camera?

Page 4 of 5

Yeh, but where the hell is Thalia?

Next to Sylvia.
--
*Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Probably lost somewhere in what seems to have become your sig - as appeared .. see below:
Having problems understanding usenet? Or do you simply need help but are getting unhelpful answers? Subscribe to: uk.net.beginners for friendly adviceinaflame-freeenvironment..2200p18rtvk6vruk222fubpjim202p58gtn1jm@4a x.zl6Pathnewsfep1-win.server.ntli.net!newspeer1-gui.server.ntli.net!ntli. net!colt.net!newspump.monmouth.com!newspeer.monmouth.com!newspeer1.nwr.na c.net!nntp.cifnet.net!news-out1.nntp.be!propagator2-sterling!in.nntp.be!p eernews!peer.cwci.net!news3.cwci.net!news.userve.net!nt1.hall.gl!not-for- mail
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y Subject: Re: Are room thermostats out of fashion? Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:56:31 +0000 Organization: Cable & Wireless INS Posting Lines: 65
NNTP-Posting-Host: ns3.userve.net Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Trace: reader-00.news.insnet.cw.net 1071489069 29441 217.196.1.66 (15 Dec 2003 11:51:09 GMT) X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@insnet.net NNTP-Posting-Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:51:09 +0000 (UTC) X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 1.92/32.572 X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: paamiut.hall.gl X-Original-Trace: 15 Dec 2003 11:56:31 GMT, paamiut.hall.gl X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 22-71-19-212-wokham-t9-z1.wireless.as15758.net X-Original-Trace: 15 Dec 2003 11:17:57 GMT, 22-71-19-212-wokham-t9-z1.wireless.as15758.net Xref: newspeer1-gui.server.ntli.net uk.d-i-y:196361 X-Received-Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:07:00 GMT (newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net)
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:41:58 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
>> Yes, but it's a recommendation, not a requirement. > >But most "building regulations" are recommendations. If you don't follow the >recommendation, you have to prove your alternative is just as good. > >> Mine does exactly that, and modulates the pump. > >In which case, the systems within the boiler provide sufficient interlock >and the boiler is directly compliant with Approved Document L1 without >further external controls. >
Right, and all of this is easy for manufacturers to implement at low cost.
>> Not really. My point was that there are much more substantial savings >> that can be made by using modulating and condensing technology than >> can be saved by this corner case. > >However, it becomes much more than a corner case if you can't rely on the >user to turn the system off during warm weather/over summer. Didn't someone >suggest around 700W to keep a typical primary circuit warm?
At 80 degrees possibly, but at 40?
>At 16 hours a >day on the timer from May to October, that's around 2000kWh over summer, >completely wasted. Over winter, the savings are much less, as the primary >circuit will need to be warm for at least half the time, but savings are >more likely to occur, as people will probably turn off the heating over >summer, if they can work out the controls. > >> Part L1 also discusses having some low energy lights, but it can't >> make the householder use them. > >This part of L1 is totally ridiculous. I only use low energy bulbs, but >refuse to install the ugly and expensive fittings that are mandated. A more >reasonable solution to the low energy bulb fitting problem is to allow >normal pendent fittings, but put a ten pound tax on each incandescent light >bulb, to ensure they retail at considerably more than the cost of a proper >bulb. The bulbs should also come with a health warning on the side, saying >that you are causing irreparable and needless damage to the environment.
I don't think that that would fly somehow. Until the appearance and colour temperature of these can be made to match tungsten lighting or at least be in the area, and be dimmable people, I don't think that they will become that popular.
I don't mind having fluorescent lamps in a workshop or even for outside lights but not for living areas. They are too cold.
> >Christian. >
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
--
geoff

Phil wrote:

No you don't. Most of EIR's response is actually to visible light so you focus normally. For a proper IR response, you'd need to use something like Kodak High Speed Infrared film (which is B+W), with a visually opaque filter. It can record interesting effects from soldering irons and the like, but isn't sensitive enough to record the kind of temperature differences we're talking about here. Actually, forget the filter, you'd need to be working in total darkness anyway to avoid the effects of reflected IR.
How about a thermometer?

A DVC with night vision will pick up some heat loss if you view the image with a pair of UV protection sun glasses on. You wear the glasses on your eyes and look through the view finder of the camera to see the hot spots. You won't be able to record the images because your own eyes are doing some of the work, but you will be able to see some of the hotter areas when the camera is in the night vision mode. Try to keep the background light to a bare minimum as well.
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BigWallop wrote:

Oh no - BigWallop's gone back to making no sense at all. And it was going so well for a while...
How is a detector which is totally incapable of detecting anything above - let's be generous and say a micron - going to detect IR in the 3-4+ micron range?
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

Just adequately insulate and draught proof everything possible. Forget thermal imaging - your money can be better spent.
Terry D.
Andy Turner wrote:

Ok, here's my thought. I have an IR thermometer which I got from Maplin for ~30. This does what a thermal imager does, but only over a single pixle. Very useful it is too.
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

Do you mean one of them fancy thermometers that has a laser spot aiming doo-dad in it? They are *really* fun. And you can acksherly measure the difference in temperature between floor and ceiling. And the angular resolution is good enough to compare the radiator with the bit of wall two inches to the side.
Anyway, that'd be my thought too.
--
Ne magna voce clametis ne canatis. Ne sine mediocritate edatis neve
bibatis. Ne ructetis. Ne inflationibus ventris alicui noceatis.
Mary Pegg wrote:

That's the ones.

Yes, the first week after I bought it I measure the temperature of just about everything around me :-)

Indeed. Also really handy for car work. And for finding out how warm your dog actually is under thei fur.
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

Come on then, don't keep us guessing. How warm is the dog?
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /
James Hart wrote:

On a cold day, when she's been outside for a while, you push back the fur and it's over 25C.
--
Grunff

They are still on special offer until 24/01/04 then revert to 49.95. I bought one today - the cat is having hours of fun chasing the red spot on the wall :-)
--
Andrew

Not sure of it's range but our dear Friends "Screwfix" do a lazer spot temperature meter I've used one at work and certainly over the couple of metres I was using it, it successfully read the temperature of the outside piping. If the range is enough this would do for you.
The Q
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:55:46 +0000, Andy Turner

Cheers for everyone's ideas/suggestions on this. It sounds like the technology isn't quite at the level I was thinking (well they have those night vision goggles in the Gadget Shop for a tenner!!). Looks like I'll just have to go and drop a feather next to the windows. If it's good enough for Ted Moult, it's good enough for me!!
andyt
--
SonyEricsson P800 for sale
As new condition, barely used - get a bargain!

As an interesting question, how much would people be prepared to pay for a fairly simpish device - shows the hot spots on TV or PC but probably not too accurate on temperature ?
Regards
Mike

Personally I'd go up to 100 or so, but then I'm a gadget freak. I bought a gadget that tells me how fast my car does 0-60, I bought a gadget that tells me how many watts are being pulled through a plug (so I know how much each device costs me in electricity bills!).
andyt
--
SonyEricsson P800 for sale
As new condition, barely used - get a bargain!

Hmm. Look what happened to him.
--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.

You could try this
http://www.yorksurvey.co.uk/products/prods2/mometers/lastherm.htm

I've got one of those (from RS) at about the same price. I'm sure I've seen them quite a bit cheaper elsewhere
--
geoff