Thermal glue

Have a high current resistor - bit like a TO220 case without the tag or hole - which was fixed to the heatsink via a double sided sticky heat conducting pad. No insulation required.

It has come loose. Do I have to get some of that special expensive double sided tape, or would any common glue do?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi Dave,

I have used this:

to "glue" a strip of black painted metal to the fridge / freezer heat exchanger to increase the mass and efficiency of the heat exchanger with good success.

The thing with

is though, it can take a month to arrive....

Good luck

David

Reply to
David

Most glues fail at 200C. What temp does it reach? Cant you just use a bit of wire to tie it down?

NT

Reply to
NT

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

Plumbers' Gold sealant/adhesive is good to 150degC but I expect you'd need to load it with some kind of metal powder to get decent thermal conductivity.

Not sure if conventional epoxies would work at the temp range of power resistors (Ali canned ones are rated to 200degC).

Safe option is Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive (2 part) which is good to

150degC and I've managed to get it for 7quid shipped so not too excessive.

Currently nine quid shipped here but googling may get it for less:

fred

Also available from a UK supplier

robgraham

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It goes hard like a cross between silicon sealant and 'no more mails'. Then it's not greasy nor messy.

David

Reply to
David

I repair some boards where the heatsinks are glued to stepper motor driver chips, which run pretty damned hot. When the chips are replaced, the heatsink has to be swapped onto the new one, and I use this

says that it's good to 105 deg C continuous or 125 deg intermittently. It's not cheap at 12 quid a bottle, but it's quick, and seems to work ok, and is specced as a heatsink adhesive.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Since it's not something I'll need everyday, I've bought some self adhesive pads from Ebay designed for the job.

But thanks to everyone.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)