There's nothing like a good science based film ch5 this afternoon

"When an asteroid crashes into the moon, changing its electromagnetic properties, it soon becomes clear that it will collide with earth in just 39 days. After a failed attempt by the US to destroy it, an international group of scientists must travel to the moon in an attempt to restore it to its original orbit"

Now where's that wall I was going to paint and watch it dry ...?

Reply to
geoff

On Saturday, 26 January 2013 14:31:38 UTC, geoff wrote:>

Almost as implausible as you mislaying a wall.

Reply to
Arty Effem

You don't think that a demolition guy would be taken off a building demo, and sent into space to save the world ? .. seems perfectly plausible to me. He is American they do this sort of thing.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

3 anna half hours to paint a wall? Slacking, are you? Reading the synopsis, I was bloody glad I missed it.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I caught a few minutes while changing channels - "we need to remagnetise the moon!" or some such nonsense - and then a bit later - "we can destroy the moon with nuclear weapons" - ok, then you replace one big lump with billions of smaller lumps. Nearly as good science as The Core.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Am I correct in thinking the Moon does not have a magnetic field? Something to do with little iron present due to the way it was formed?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

IIRC that is the case.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I didn't realise this was yesterday's TV and was trying to decide whether this was a synopsis of Teen Wolf, See Spot Run, or The Princess Bride, which are on this pm.

See Spot Run won by half a furlong.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes. Almost all the iron that the proto-planet that bashed into the early Earth had stayed in the Earth and sank to the centre (along with most of the other heavy metals from the crust, such as Uranium). Explains why Earth has a molten core and a goodish magnetic field. The moon formed from the detritus that was flung into orbit.

Also explains why the Earth's rotation rate is so high. Mind you, the "day" was only 5 hours long at that point, and the Moon pretty close, so the tides were some kilometres high.

The Moon has also acted to stabilise the direction that the Earth's axis points. Eventually the Moon will move far enough away from the Earth (due to tidal effects) that we'll lose it. After which point there's non-zero chance that the Earth will tilt over - due to interactions with other planets. That won't do life any good.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It has a weak magnetic field.

harry