Themostat Control

Page 1 of 2
Is it possible to buy a programmable thermostat control for your central heating that can be programmed to around a month in advance, at the moment I can only find controls that do either 5 or 7 days, Ideally I'd need one for two to four weeks.
Any ideas
Thank you.
On 24 Sep 2003 05:30:24 -0700, Tony wrote:

What are you trying to achieve? Most programable stats have a "holiday" function wich suspends the programmed 5+2 or 7 day sequence for n days.
Also remember that the 5+2 or 7 day programming is a pattern that repeats, it's not just for 5+2 or 7 days into the future. Once set it's forget. B-)
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On 25 Sep 2003 01:27:45 -0700, Tony wrote:

Thats what the "holiday" feature does. It suspends the normal 5+2 or 7 day cycle for n days. You can set the value of n normally up to 99 days and the temperature below which you don't want the house to fall for frost protection. After the n days are up the normal cycle restarts.
OK you'd have to set it each time you left for the duration of your absence but I don't know of an off the shelf solution that will do repetitive cycle of 4 weeks frost protection 1 week normal etc. I guess part of an home automation system would do it or you could use a PLC.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:12:54 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"

Good points. Every time I go to set the holiday time on my own system, though, the thought strikes me: I am actually advertising to any potential and clueful burglars just how long the house is likely to be unoccupied ?
What with that and the massive thermal inertia in my house, I often just leave it on, especially if it's just a long weekend.
--
John
Mail john rather than nospam...
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Personally I think pressing the holiday button 21 times is the easiest but... Say really want to go the whole hog and have a fully programmable heating system you could change your current heating controls to the Honeywell smartfit system, then connect these via this interface http://www.home-control.co.uk/products/product_info.php?products_id `&osCsidD connected to the Comfort home control system. This will give you the control you seek plus the option to override programs by phone or optional web interface. (check this - quite cool really http://www.home-control.co.uk/images/climate.jpg?osCsidD ) If you are really curious, it will phone you up if it gets frosty. The interface is about 160, the Smartfit around 125, and the complete system should leave change from 1k.
My house heats up in 1 hour when I get back from holiday, so I don't really see this as a problem.
Toby.
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:30:51 +0100, Toby wrote:

Ours takes 3+ days to stabilise if we let it get cold, lots of thick stone walls just suck the warmth out of the air.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

In which case, why do you need something to switch the heating on in advance of your return at all ? Come in, fire it up, pop out for a Chinese, and by the time you get back the house will be warm...
--
John
Mail john rather than nospam...
John Laird wrote:

I don't. The OP wanted a solution. These things all look good on paper, but at the end of the day the simple solution (keep coat on, get neighbour to switch it on for you etc.) win for me every time

Toby.

Oops, sorry. Misread Toby as Tony.
--
John
Mail john rather than nospam...

You want a telephone operated one then
--
geoff

Ok, that would make sense and provide me with a way to achieve this. I've had a look at a few models, but can't seem to find one with a "holiday" setting, can anyone recommend a model.
Thanks
Tony wrote:

Seven day 2 channel models such as: Horstmann Channelplus XL H27 Drayton (Invensys) Tempus 7
If your existing programmer is on a backk plate it should be a simple case of removing a grub screw and latching the new one in place.
Toby.
On 26 Sep 2003 03:10:33 -0700, Tony wrote:

I have a Danfoss TP75(*) which has a "holiday" setting. Fairly sure that the other popular one, the Honeywell CM67 has it as well. The smaller programable stats seem to only have a frost protection which is manual on/off rather than reverting to the programed mode after n days.
(*) To be replaced by the TP7000 according to http://www.danfoss-randall.co.uk
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On 25 Sep 2003 01:27:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@resolutionsnet.co.uk (Tony) wrote:

If you go to the Maplin web site and then search for product code N34BF you'll get a remote control board which will work with a mobile phone - cost is 14.99.
http://www.maplin.co.uk
You'd obviously have to mount this somewhere, so add the cost of a box etc.
PoP
That's excellent, thanks
How does it work (i.e. put it together), there doesn't seem to be any information on the site. How do you access it through your mobile. I definitly want one of these if someone can explain how I can make it work.
Thanks
Tony

Plug it into a power socket. Take the fly lead to the phone. Plug the heating into the remote unit. Call the phone number of the property. Tell unit to switch ON / OFF using predifined code keys. Jobs done.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:42:41 GMT, "BigWallop"

I think - but am not sure - that you would have to buy an additional mobile phone to leave connected to the unit on a permanent basis. Presumably anything cheap and nasty would do for this.
I haven't installed one of these though so I am only guessing. Perhaps it might be worth blowing 15 quid on it, and if it doesn't work out offer it on ebay? People have been known to buy the strangest things on ebay - and very often at a profit for the seller!
PoP
On 29 Sep 2003 05:19:03 -0700, Tony wrote:

Other than your message being in a thread I have posted to sometime in the past I haven't a clue what particular thermostat you are talking about.
Please *selectively* quote the message you are following up, so that the context of your comments is known.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Sorry, I was referring to the TP75 you suggested inline with using it with mobile control item from maplins.
Thanks