The unvented cylinder annual inspection myth?

I thought the header tank was simply left in place from an older installation or for another system in the same house. I've got a sealed system for central heating and hot water. There are still two header tanks in the loft above one bedroom and one of those is still in use, as the header tank for the woodburner with a back boiler.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes. Drayton Tanks do glass fibre ones, including ones rated at 100C. They cost an arm and a leg tho' You can probably still get galvanised steel ones if you look hard enough.

Reply to
Bill Taylor

Bill Taylor coughed up some electrons that declared:

Ah yes - 100+ quid - I see your point(!)

:O

Reply to
Tim S

Errm, GRP *is* plastic.

Reply to
Steve Firth

However if it is faulty you will be done for driving it even if its a week old.

Reply to
dennis

Glass fibre Reinforced Polyurethane

Reply to
BigWallop

So is galvanised steel.

Reply to
Bill Taylor

Only a complete fool would write that.

Yes, zero if it is obtainable.

Which is totally irrelevant to domestic DHW production and storage.

Boy, you are confused.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You really have clue. Don't ever touch any plumber or gas equipment. Get real people to do that.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Don't confuse him any further!!!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You don't, you made that up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You really have no clue how they work. Get yourself a how things work book.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You were.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What sort are you having, by the way?

;-)

Reply to
YAPH

I thought they were both storage tank collapse incidents. What caused the cylinder to rupture, do you know? Sounds almost as if it had gone unvented.

Reply to
YAPH

The recentish one certainly was. I am not sure the older report actually contained specific info - only "burst hot water cylinder".

Undersized vent scaling up, or inappropriate fitting of a gate valve in the wrong place would seem like obvious culprits though.

Reply to
John Rumm

No.

Reply to
Steve Firth

My God! I'd hate to see their leccy bill. My immersion was left on by a "guest" for a few days once and my bill increased by about 30% from normal.

Reply to
Mark

If it is always on they do not notice an increase. The bulk of the energy to re-heat the cylidner will be from a powerful gas boiler with a 3kW immersion just assisting (expensivly so).

Or the amount of time people switch off the gas boiler in summer and use an immersion. They must like losing money.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That's what I said. Doh...

How does thermostatically controlled wood or coal burning stove work?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice