the 'TV aerial' discussion

We decided to end PARAs because DSO had happened.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Argument backed by credentials isn't.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Very little wrong this that!

There are grouped log-periodics though. Satellite Solutions/Vision sell them.

I would add a caution that cranked masts impose a strong twisting force on the U bolts in the chimney/wall bracket.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I should add that I have a large library of relevant pictures if you want any to illustrate various points. Also, feel free to link to my articles on my website. My 'Rogues' Gallery' might also be instructive...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

done, cheers.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thanks Bill. I've added a couple of links to your site. I'm sure more could be added. It really shows just how much breadth & detail isnt covered by the wiki.

More illustrations on the wiki page would surely help it along. Do you want to pick a few, or is there a place we can look at some? I dont know whether you want to keep your site pics just for that site. Cheers.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Indeed.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

be added. It really shows just how much breadth & detail isnt covered by the wiki.

Do you want to pick a few, or is there a place we can look at some?

I dont know whether you want to keep your site pics just for that site. Cheers.

I have 400+ 'representative' pictures, stock shots if you like to call them that (314MB) and 1,555 pics of specific installations (1.36GB). I could post you a dongle or disk with them all on, but I don't think you'd find your way to pictures you wanted very easily because of the way they're indexed (they aren't). Perhaps if you give me specific examples of things/concepts you want to illustrate and I have a rummage; see what I can find?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You're the only one arguing.

We currently have a few TV related articles on the wiki - the aerial one you have seen. There is also:

It would be nice to have photos to add to each section to illustrate some of the things being described...

Keep in mind the focus of these is really to assist members of the public looking to DIY - provide the required background, and help them identify what the parts of the system are, an what they do.

So in the aerial article for example, photos of the various aerial types discussed. Some showing different mounting positions, and different mast types and sizes. Pictures of commonly encountered "bits" that people are likely to find in their home might be handy to make it easier to identify stuff. So things like masthead amps, and PSUs, diplexers, splitters, loft boxen etc. Our phased array aerial diagram is sub optimal shall we say ;-) (no offence NT, I know you just improved it!)

Reply to
John Rumm

We could probably go thru the articles and create a list, but I dont get mu ch wiki time, and I dont think anyone does really. There's clearly room for more tv related articles too, which would benefit from more images.

How do you feel about sending a disc to one of us, and we can either put it on the web somewhere, with permission for the wiki to use anything from it ? Or it could be uploaded to rapidshare etc with a password, and when us wi kiwriters get a spare mo we can look through it. 2000 images isnt a big pro blem, I do get a wikihour now and then.

Sounds like another potential article

Damn, I worked so hard on those full stops & apostrophes. :) Its just a mat ter of time & will isn't it. If anyone wants to draw a clear diagram, great .

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I was going to suggest we create Bill a wiki account, then he can cut out all the middle men, and upload any images that he fancies directly...

(Might even be able to coax him into writing some words for it as well?)

Well most of the words are there... might want splitting into a couple of separate articles - at the moment its a bit too close to an effort to throw all the information at one page and hope it sticks.

I was considering it the other night, but with hindsight, I am sure Bill has a photo of a real one.

Reply to
John Rumm

Oh no no no! I am busy busy to the extent that I have trouble finding time to do the Wotsat articles. I couldn't possibly take anything else on. Sorry.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I started trying to sort some pictures out for you but gave up. Look, best thing is I'll send you a disk. Email me through my website wrightsaerials.tv with an address or ring me or and I'll post you a disk.

This has made me realise what an horrendous jumble the pictures are in. The only good thing is they almost all have descriptive file names so a word search will work.

Would you please credit the pictures?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Worth a try ;-)

Point me at an image cache and I will go plunder if you prefer...

Reply to
John Rumm

Of course. You can have a link to your web site as well at no extra cost ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Reply to
Bill Wright