The triumphalist attitude of many British workers

It's always the managers that are the wankers.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

There are a lot of those, same in academia & the broad civil service.

She should insist they re-instate as it was before, they will want to use their own people as first choice. The UK has something of a "we are the state and can do as we want" re unenforced accountability. White collar crime & incompetence is "not a priority" but needs to be.

The next decade is going to see a big change in local gov't, money is going to run out despite so called "deficit cuts" and inflation- erosion. We might yet see heads of councils justify their 250k/yr salary etc.

Make sure she has suitable footwear, ie, check yourself. Frankly if the weather is bad home Tesco Asda etc delivery are fine.

Reply to
js.b1

Since I'm an academic, I have to be careful here! The academics are (generally) fine; we chose to be paid less so that we can do what we want to do...

But managers can be awful. There is one where I work (not my department) who is an appalling bully with his staff, and has been for many years. And I know of an FE principal who knows *nothing* about teaching, and runs everything on 'tick box' lines - I have met her, and all I had heard is sadly true.

Wish we could persuade her. My wife does a lot of complaining on her behalf, though!

We have set that up but she won't use a computer (she can, but thinks it affects her tinnitus). In emergency we can order. But she really likes going out, and once moving is pretty fast!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well I was in a hospital and they had done some fine needlework patching up large lacerations elsewhere and pinning broken bones and skull all I wanted was a rather nagging splinter removed they didn't notice as I was in a coma when they were sorting the other stuff!..

I'd have DIY'ed it if I had the tools to hand;-!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Nice one:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Feck, they were taking the piss.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Why is it so many academic managers are not appointed based on ability at management? :-) Sort of proves the promoted above level of incompetence but not moved back down one?

Perhaps a baseline order of essentials...

... M&S do the best tinned ham, eves pudding are good. ... Tesco do a really great Sicilian Lemon Mousse, Cappuccino Desserts, Lemoncello Desserts, their UHT semi-skimmed milk is very good and great as a backup surprisingly ... Asda do ok Tiramasu, Weight Watchers Chocolate And Vanilla Mousse ... Baxters Tomato Soup, Country Vegetable Vegetarian Soup are good (watch onions) ... Chicken & Cheese kiev from Asda and M&S are ok backups

I know M&S do not deliver, but can be good for those two long life items. Avoids the "run out of milk or ham and must go out".

Reply to
js.b1

Not necessarily... by the time you have removed the plastic cover... intercooler... hoses... split the intercooler because it was made out of 32swg... punctured yourself and covered everything in blood whilst not feeling a thing ... removed the intake shroud... supercharger/ turbocharger plumbing... finally got to the dipstick... you have done

5 years already.

Then again there is changing the spark plugs on a Boxster... "Step 1 - remove car from on top of engine"... "Step 2 - check you tightened the spark plug correctly before replacing car"... uh-oh...

Reply to
js.b1

But they've given up on doing 1% milk which is a pain.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Oh, she does all that. Pretty good at it; only when she was ill did we have to resort to shopping for her.

She *likes* going out; the exercise is good for her, and she has lunch out (mostly in the same place, meeting friends). And she can't carry a lot due to arthritis in her hands, so she goes out pretty well every day (except Saturdays, because all the buses are double deckers...)

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's the Peter Principle.

if you do a good job you get promoted. This keeps happening until you get into a job you are no good at, where you stick.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

No, see exfoliation. if you are good at the job you don't even get it, these days.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've seen exfoliation. It's something trees do in autumn, or women when no-one is looking. What's your definition?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Its in the peter principle. Its the way organsations shed people who are too competent.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Voluntary redundancy schemes don't help; anyone with any "get up and go" gets up and goes, leaving all the duffers behind.

Reply to
Huge

The "get up and goers" are a threat to the others

Reply to
geoff