The Town That Never Retired

The good news is that the surgical procedure which puts electrodes in the brain stimulated by a battery can work extremely well: an ex-colleague of mine has just had the op and has been transformed from a drug-induced zombie.

Reply to
newshound

Nor me except good luck and I hope for the best for you.

I'm half way between you two and not looking forward to retiring but finding physical aspects of my job a real problem now.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Make sure you get the right stuff. MPTP will _cause_ Parkinson's. And since the MDMA you might get isn't exactly from a controlled source...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I'm so sorry to hear that Dave.

My dad had that for about 20 years.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Apparently in parts of Yorkshire they take it by rubbing it in around their teeth.

Usually known as "E by gum".

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Christ, you're six years younger than me. Forgive me for saying so, I had assumed you were an old git.

Bugger. Hey, a new career awaits you as Flashman Liq DJ.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Those words are enough.

I'd retire tommorow given the chance, able to do what I want when I want rather than having to go out to work to get money to give to Tesco...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A substantial amount of money has been burnt on this place. Maybe there is a bit of incentive to get it finished now...

Think you have to pretty far gone before they operate, I only have a resting tremor in my right hand/arm. If I move it or even think about moving it the tremor stops. It was the tremor that sent me to the GP and thence consultant and DaT Scan.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Naw, just do a good impression of a Grumpy Old Man.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sorry to hear that Dave, but take some hope from the fact that my father suffered from Parkinson's,and he survived until the grand old age of 82 before a stroke and Pneumoconiosis saw him off - rather than the Parkinson's.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

:-)

However the best apprentice I have ever had has never met his Dad and his Mother is an alcoholic slag. He saw the apprenticeship as a way to leave home.

Dunno about the new one. But he is worth taking the time to find out more about him. And that is what I will do. The next time it is pissing it down I will pretend to have a job near his house. He can throw the bike in the van and I can drop him off at home. We can then have a proper talk time. And that will be 30 miles well spent.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thing I don't think has been mentioned is that those who could work later in life are also the ones more likely to have an occupational pension. Manual workers the least likely.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No genetics there then :-)

I don't think youngsters realise that older folk *want* them to succeed. I always tell them that it doesn't matter what you choose as a career, just aim to be the world's best at it. The work experience kid who went on to become head groundsman at the Emirates and the Bernabeu is a good example. And, if all else fails, train for the marathon. I was told by a city slicker that a fast time earns you big respect in the square mile.

Reply to
stuart noble

Thanks, that's the sort of thing I like to hear. B-) Parkinson's isn't a killer as such but in the later stages it makes you more vulnerable to other things like an infection or fall and it's that that gets you.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How about all the short term contract, casual, or freelance?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This group is part of a health site of which I am a member (relating to another disease). Any use?

polygonum

Sounds as if he might have enough go in him to start his own bizz then you'll have some competition;!..

Or else you might have someone on your hands whom you can leave things to whilst of having a good time with the MK CXV girlfriend ;?...

  • Or what eve mark number we're up to this month;!...
Reply to
tony sayer

+1

Dave .. you'd then have to give your pension to Tesco, so no better off really;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

If you could give as much as possible to Tesco please, as (a very modest holding of) Tesco shares *is* my pension.

Owain

Reply to
Owain