The things you see in the sheds...

Wandering around a Homebase today I noticed loads of very blue spots on sale. Closer examination showed them to be ordinary low voltage lamps with a filter/lens on the front to make them look like a group of LEDs. Dunno what the tree huggers will make of them. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So a perfectly good form of illumination made to look like cheap LEDs. Funny, blue LED's are cheaper and easier to produce than a pure white one. There are plenty of other cases where cheap technology is marketed as expensive and state of the art with a price tag to match when it is nothing of the sort. Personally I find white light better for almost everything ;-)

Reply to
visionset

"visionset" wrote

Went into some public bogs - Sainsbury's in York maybe - which had some seriously blue lighting. Apparently this is to stop the drug using contingent going in to shoot up - can't see the veins in the blue light. Very strange feeling when you walk back into "normal" lighting - spaces you out IYSWIM.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Due to the output wavelength, a blue LED with yellow phosphor on it so that it outputs whitish light will in fact generally be brighter than the blue LED alone, as the eyes are very insensitive to blue.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

They can because they take small LED torches in with them! It was a good idea but doesn't stop the smackheads. Security should be stopping them on the way in anyway.

Reply to
Mal

visionset wrote

Re: Homebase

They've got signs around my (Cambridge) Homebase which say that they've put low-power bulbs or low-power LEDs into all their display lights so that they don't waste energy.

ISTR that they mention some gummint regulation.

Reply to
Brian L Johnson

I found today that my new AAA 1W LED torch _really_ makes veins show up, when held against the skin.

It's a very bright light, concentrated in an area. It actually manages to backlight nearby veins.

I have no application for this though.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Likewise at my Homebase - not a bad idea as it also prevents a lot of heat being generated in the lighting dept. Clearly the signs aren't making enough impact.

Reply to
John

wandering around local Wickes, and the lighting display was dark till we came close, then proximity thingie turned the lights on for a few minutes. Seemed like a good idea... Neil

Reply to
neil

In a museum somewhere we saw some sort of brick tiles produced in the 17th century(? or thereabouts) to be stuck onto the front of timber-framed buildings to make them look like they were new posh brick houses.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Stand outside Sainsbury's bog in York and rent the torch to junkies? :-)

Reply to
Colum Mylod

John wrote

As I'm getting a bit 'thin on top', lighting displays in stores are often quite uncomfortable for me.

Hmmm... Maybe Homebase should focus a couple of 100W spotlights on the signs? ;)

Reply to
Brian L Johnson

Common in Lewes (East) Sussex - AIUI,

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

We have some of those houses about a mile from here. Fairly obvious at the corners of the bay windows. And done a very long time ago....well, mid to late 19th century! (Herne Bay, Kent)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reply to
Andy Dingley