The Stand- By demon

The real biggies are China, America and India.

anything anyone in this country does to "stop climate change" will have absolutely zero effect on the global situation so light that bulb, leave that TV on all night and, most importantly, go on as many air journeys and car journeys you can before the 'antis' get their way and stop everyone doing what they are doing.

Let's stop somebody from doing something! Everybody does too much. People seem to think they've a right to eat and drink, Talk and walk and respirate and rink, Bicycle and bathe and such.

So let's have lots of little regulations, Let's make laws and jobs for our relations, There's too much kissing at the railway stations--

Let's find out what everyone is doing, And then stop everyone from doing it.

A.P. Herbert's Ballads for Broadbrows

Reply to
.

Anything like this sold into the Japanese market must have a standby power of less than a watt:

Whereas we in the UK accept any old crap I expect.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Because for some that is the only way you will get them to put up with the inconveniance of turning it off fully.

(note that not all TVs have a hard on/off switch - hence this may require crawling behind piles of AV gear, looking for the switch on the socket)

Reply to
John Rumm

Our relatives (our children) are intelligent enough to look through for what they can use and give anything which is usable by like-minded people to charity shops. There's nothing wrong with that.

Oh yes they would - the few things which needed washing. Our 'children' are very responsible people.

I hate even looking. There's much more to life.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Whether that's true or not, doesn't it matter that it's saving waste?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That doesn't mean that it's not worth doing. The sum total of all the minuscule savings can add up to quite a lot, globablly.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Speak for yourself :-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Which, if that is being promoted as its primary purpose, would be the main question to ask I would have thought.

I can accept you may not care that much about the cost. However I find it interesting that you don't know how much energy it is saving[1]. Otherwise how do you know you have not just installed something that will never repay its environmental cost?

[1] perhaps you are monitoring it but have not had it installed long enough yet to get a decent picture of the effect over the year...
Reply to
John Rumm

And where does the heat lost from the tank go?

Reply to
John Rumm

I take it you're referring to Usenet? What with you being the 7th all-time highest poster to uk.d-i-y (4th highest this month!).... :-)

Where do you find the time?! Or, more to the point, how do you justify spending it here?!

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

A lot of it goes into the loft and out, if as is common the cold tank is over the airing cupboard with no insulation under (to stop it from freezing) and a thin layer on top and round the sides.

Of course some goes into the house, but that's only any use when you would be heating the house anyway - do you really want an extra heat source in the summer?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges

It's called soft targetting - just like fluorescent light bulbs and other stuff that one might have at home which in reality makes little difference other than a feel good factor.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Anyone want to work out how long a TV has to be left on standby to equal one trip to Torremolinos?? :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Very short. You would have to be addicted to large volumes of crap TV to want to go to Torremolinos in the first place so it would hardly ever be in standby.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Torremolinos, hah. Do you have any idea how many thousands of greenies went to Kyoto and Buenos Aires and Montreal and every other monthly worldwide enviro-conference where they all voted to make everyone else uses video-conferencing?

Reply to
Peter Parry

Well, lets have a go...

Google earth recons the distance from Gatwick is 1025 miles...

lets go on a 777, with a passenger capacity of 440 people flying cattle class. Max range about 6000 miles, max fuel load 120,000 L - so call it a 1/3rd of a tank there and back. So 40,000 L of fuel, or 90 L (or about 80kg) per passenger. Lets say we get 42MJ/kg that gives us 3360MJ of energy.

Your TV on standby consuming 0.8W running 24/7 365 will use about 25MJ...

So the moral of the storey is skip this years flight, you can have your TV on standby for the next 134 years instead.

(give or take an order of magnitude!)

Oh and don't forget the drive to the airport and back could use half as much again!

Reply to
John Rumm

Even left on all day, it would probably run for over a year, and there would be enough left over for several shell suits through not having been to Torremolinos and bringing back yet another straw donkey and sombrero.

Reply to
Andy Hall

They were claiming the same sort of thing leaving a phone charger plugged in while not in use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Naw - 'we' have our own camera car - the talent travels separately. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But use rather less fuel than underpowered cars of yore.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)