The smell of linseed oil on my hands

Having rubbed boiled linseed oil into some garden furniture earlier this afternoon, my hands reek of the stuff (despite a couple of vigorous washings). Any suggestions on how to get rid of it?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Wait. Meanwhile develop an appreciation for it :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Clean your hands with either "Lava" hand cleaner (the stuff in the red packets - the portable wipes are excellent) or else by pre-scrubbing them with cooking oil (and I mean scrubbing) before washing. Ecover washing up liquid or cheap hair shampoo are useful on vegetable oils too.

Personally I use barrier cream first. Linseed isn't the nicest smell, and the laxative effect's no fun either.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I keep a box of latex gloves under the kitchen sink for messy jobs.

you could use nitrile gloves and keep them somewhere else but the effect is the same. the mess of whatever you are working with stays on the outside of the gloves and off your hands :D

RT

Reply to
[news]

Dip your hands in a strong casutic soda solution.

Then wash off the linseed, and the first half mm of skin, in cold water.

This will entirely remove the linseed, the smell of it and the desire to use a computer keyboard for a few hours.

Win win all round I'd say? ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

you're not supposed to drink it

Reply to
Rusty

sounds like a good way to locate all those little scratches you dont normally notice :) Win-win or win-scream?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Hair shampoo? Phil