The secret of puttying glass in a window?

Your supposed to paint it. :-)

Reply to
ben

It'll still give trouble in short order compared to putty. Water always gets under the beading regardless of how well it's fixed or painted.

If you've a method to stop this I'd be very interested.

Might be ok on a window which is well sheltered.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How about a thin layer of putty at the back of the beading, then pressing the beading firmly home against the glass and then paint? and if that dont rock your boat then paint the sodden beading all over before pinning it to the frame.

There ain't no pleasing some people. pffft

Reply to
ben

You'd need something like that anyway, otherwise the glass will rattle. But I've used flexible sealant for double glazing.

Of course I did this. But after the final paint job, the paint between the beading and frame will crack within months on this south facing window letting water in between beading and frame. Then within a year or so, the paint will start flaking off the beading.

If I'd known how much trouble this difficult to get at window was to be, I'd have had the architect design something more reliable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't shoot the architect..its not his fault you chose a naff spot to build your House.

Reply to
ben

Heh heh - I'm not that old. The house is Victorian.

But you wouldn't like a south facing window with the sun pouring in all day?

Best move to Wales, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The curved side edge faces towards the glass.

When I was a youngster I sometimes went to work with my dad I always looked for the glaziers on site so I could play with the putty my brother was always riding around on a dumper truck. How times have changed, H&S would throw a fit with two 6-year-olds running loose on a building site. If you're interested here's a picture of my putty knives

top ebony handled one was my grandfather's the bottom one was my fathers. No doubt you can now get stainless pre-worn-in ones. ;(

-
Reply to
Mark

Quite a collection. The bottom one looks most like my idea of a putty knife. Pity you can't post a video of you using it! So the curve goes towards the glass but how do you get that perfect mitre at the corners? Difficult to describe I expect.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Stuart Noble wrote: [snip]

You swing the blade out as you reach the putty at the bottom/top.

Practice is alls that is required. I done my practice on a small window frame brought into the house and used that to practice on frequently.

Reply to
ben

I'll put it on my list of skills I must acquire

Reply to
Stuart Noble

No problem, just don't lean it up against the wall, otherwise you'll find the missus opening the window. :-)

/daft bat

Reply to
ben