The scout hut roof - barbed wire allowed?

Nothing works on cats.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

A twelve bore is quite effective

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Only if you have one and only if you get a shot.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

In message , Mr Pounder writes

The police might take a dim view of a 12 bore used in an urban environment.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Do it in late October/early November.

Reply to
Huge

Have you tried a little TLC on one?

Reply to
ARW

Doubt you'd have to hit the target the noise would proably put of most cats.

Hum, a weapon discharge sounds very different to a firework but I guess townies wouldn't know what a shotgun sounds like anyway...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

As a townie I regularly hear what I think are shotguns. Suspect it is clay shooting - not quite sure where because the sounds echo around.

Reply to
polygonum

Nope, they don't.

Reply to
Huge

What? Throw an electrical wholesalers catalogue at them?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Anti-freeze?

Reply to
harry

Umm.. I think they do (sound different) but can't quite think how:-)

Shot travelling overhead can be heard and perhaps the gas expansion imparts some directionality not found in an uncontained explosion. Shotguns go off at ground level where fireworks of similar energy tend to be aerial?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Sorry, I failed to make myself clear. They do sound different, but townies can't tell the difference. OTOH pigeons can easily tell the difference between a gas gun and a real one ... :o)

Reply to
Huge

I was wondering which part was being disagreed with as well. B-)

Firearms have much sharper harder leading edge and are shorter in duration.

You've not experienced New Year in China then...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Some of us town dwellers are ex country dwellers and are quite familiar with the difference between a 12-bore, a 410, .22, 9mm or even for that matter high velocity weapon. I haven't done any shooting for many years, but even so...

When Buncefield woke us up I knew immediately it was distant. I waited a bit, heard no sirens, and went back to sleep.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

By golly, that would have been a big clay pigeon!!

Did same.

Reply to
polygonum

Yep. Guns go "crack" whereas fireworks go "thump"

Reply to
Huge

Good job you didn't live in St.Albans, then.

Reply to
Huge

I know what a rifle and an automatic pistol sound like having used them, I have never used a shotgun, do they sound like they do on films?

Reply to
dennis

Or used any mortars where the lifting charge goes off at ground level.

Reply to
dennis