The Science of DIY -bbc r7 listen again

The Science of DIY

Fisher and fellow experts deconstruct the workings of home and gardening implements

3 Oct 2008 13:45 -14:00 BBC Radio 7Getting In A Twist - Screws And Screwdrivers 7 days left to listen Len Fisher and fellow experts demonstrate how these metal fasteners are in fact levers. 2 Oct 2008 13:45 -14:00 BBC Radio 7Tightening Up - Nuts and Bolts 6 days left to listen Len Fisher and fellow experts offer choice tips, whilst renovating an old bicycle. 1 Oct 2008 13:45 -14:00 BBC Radio 7If I Had A Hammer - Hammer and Nails 5 days left to listen Len Fisher and fellow experts locate the 'sweet spot' to hit your nail on the head. 30 Sep 2008 13:45 -14:00 BBC Radio 7A Chip off the Old Block - Chisels and Saws 4 days left to listen Len Fisher and fellow experts reveal how to sharpen and use your tools properly. 29 Sep 2008 13:45 -14:00 BBC Radio 7The Wheelbarrow 3 days left to listen Len Fisher and fellow experts reveal the importance of leverage when conveying a load. 8 Feb 2008 13:15 -13:30 BBC Radio 7Getting In A Twist - Screws And Screwdrivers 7 days left to listen Len Fisher and fellow experts demonstrate how these metal fasteners are in fact levers. 7 Feb 2008 13:15 -13:30 BBC Radio 7Tightening Up - Nuts and Bolts 6 days left to listen Len Fisher and fellow experts offer choice tips, whilst renovating an old bicycle. 6 Feb 2008 13:15 -13:30 BBC Radio 7If I Had A Hammer - Hammer and Nails 5 days left to listen Len Fisher and fellow experts locate the 'sweet spot' to hit your nail on the head. 5 Feb 2008 13:15 -13:30 BBC Radio 7A Chip off the Old Block - Chisels and Saws 4 days left to listen Len Fisher and fellow experts reveal how to sharpen and use your tools properly. 4 Feb 2008 13:15 -13:30 BBC Radio 7The Wheelbarrow 3 days left to listen Len Fisher and fellow experts reveal the importance of leverage when conveying a load.
Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

How does one save these files?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I think you aren't meant to be able to. When I've wanted to keep one, I just send the audio out from one machine to the line in on another. I'm told there are various bits of software which can intercept the audio path inside windows and save the digital data, but I don't run Windows (much), and the things I've wanted to keep have only been voice-based for the most part so HiFi not required.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Some very baisc info in there, buried among a lot of waffle. And as always with the bbc they couldnt quite get their basic facts right.

"screws will never damage a screwdriver" "you can put your full weight on a screw when unscrewing and the thread will never slip"

One interesting tip there, hammering a philips screwdriver into a slotted screwhead to get it out.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Once I posted that I realised I was being dense and googled. But the quality of the first one persuaded me I wasnt missing out. Thanks for explaining.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I gave up trying to do that. I wasn't going to invest too much time in it either, given how little BBC material one would want to keep.

Reply to
stuart noble

It would be nice to be able to save them to listen to in the future not this week. Is there an easy way to save them in Windows or Ubuntu?

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

M or A or NT writ:

I found at least one idea in each 15min programme that sparked a new connection of understanding in my brane in the chat between the physicist and the handyman...

(and a few laughs too!)

[g]
Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

Audacity. You're welcome, you tosser.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Umm well, I'd say the screwdriver is a lever. But a screw is a ramp, and I can't recall ramps being described as levers.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Streambox VCR (free but you do have to search for it since Real threatened them with legal action) will record them - at least from the old listen again system the Beeb used. You just drag the link on the radio 7 page to streambox. Or drag the 'listen on realplayer' on the listen again page to streambox.

Or you can find the actual link using url snooper (the older version is better as you don't have to keep going to some web site to keep it working) and drop that into streambox.

Using the new iplayer then Replay Media Catcher will record it - you start to listen then stop. The program catches it. But it is not free and you must have the latest version (2.8???) as Beeb has tweaked iPlayer again.

-- Mark BR

Reply to
Mark BR

Whatever freeware/ bootleg verion of something or another I used, the quality of the recording was diabolical. I ditched it, and IPlayer too.

I sometimes record radio stuff via the freeview box/dvd recorder and then convert to mp3.

Reply to
stuart noble

In message , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

I've used Net Transport, though I've not tried it on the iPlayer version of listen again. Occasionally it would have trouble getting the right url. Otherwise it worked fine.

Trial period then nag screens I think

OLd versions here. I used the old freeware version

Reply to
chris French

You also seem to have lost at least one connection. ^^^^^

Was it a fair exchange?

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I can't remember!

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

Do you think you can remember not to top post?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q