The revolution has started!

Any fluid is a lubricant. As to whether it's still there 5 minutes later, or if it could withstand the operating pressure, that's a different question.

The scent is a deliberate addition.

There was a facinating program on Radio 4 a month or two back on the marketing of WD40. They really sounded like they know what they're doing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The marketing, yes. Get people to send it all manner of whacky ways the great unwashed have used the product and publish them as "testimonials". All "instant fixes" but nothing saying that the problem did or didn't reoccur or if there was any other bad effects. The chap they interviewed wasn't quite spouting pure marketing/management speak but wasn't far from it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Now there's a thought. I've not tried that for about 20 years (we had some at work) and hadn't bought any for bike chains as the Technical Officer of the CTC reckons it clogs chains (or at least, the lube with oil/PTFE does).

In a switch it could be OK.

Yup, but that's true of any attempt to lubricate anything. You should see the inside of a Vincent gearbox: fill with 40% oil, 40% grease, 20% heavily soaked jam-rags then churn and heat for 40 years!

That could possibly be carried with some sort of liquid, same as PTFE.

Thanks for the links. Id forgotten about GT85, although it does seem similar to WD40.

Reply to
PeterC

WMD45?

Reply to
PeterC

could you make it a secret silent order :>)))))

JimK

Reply to
JimK

WD40 + AK47.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I worked in engineering for 48 years and 25 of those were in the aerospace industry. While in the latter, I had access to all the oil and grease books and specifications. Oil was always preceded with O. Grease with G. Lithium products with L.

Water dispersant's were *always* preceded with WD.

The reason water dispersant's were used was that when aircraft wings were completed and painted, because they bend up and down all the time, the paint can crack around the bolts and rivets used on the lower surface of the wings and they could harbour water under the countersunk heads, which would cause corrosion if not removed. It was usual to spray a water dispersant onto the under wing skins on a regular basis.

That is my choice as well.

Imagine using Diesel as a lubricant :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It's not so often you are wrong.

But you are right here. :-)

The quality of lubricants available to the public is not a patch on lubricants used in the aerospace industry.

Take greases, the soaps that are used in them are far, far, superior to those available for cars etc. I have a jar of grease that came from an out of date container (1). It has stood on my shed shelf for about 15 years and it is still as soft as it was then. No drying at all.

(1) Glass jar that has been open to the atmosphere all the time. I wouldn't use it for any bearings though. Out of date? Oil lies under the earth's crust for millions of years, it gets processed into oils and greases and as soon as it enters the aerospace industry, a life label gets slapped on it lifing it to 12 months.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sorry been lurking too long!! The thing with WD40 is I agree its not designed for large components and mainly we used it on small mechanisms and you used nearly half a can mainly as flushing agent, but it does work as a lubricant. In the industry I was in it was the best/cost effective that is available. We used the modern PTFE etc based stuff but it was costing an arm an leg to get the same results as WD40.

Reply to
CarlBrigg

On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 23:25:10 +0100, CarlBriggs had this to say:

How can a 'flushing agent' also act as a lubricant? The idea of a lubricant is that it forms a coating on the working surfaces - a 'flushing agent' removes any coatings.

It may appear to lubricate short term, but that's just because it's wetting the surfaces - water would probably be just as effective.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Practical experience would suggest otherwise though. In non demanding applications it lubricates well enough - e.g. a squeaking hinge will stop squeaking for a couple of years, before it needs another quick squirt. I am sure water would not have the same effect.

Reply to
John Rumm

Posted as an ironic comment

Reply to
PeterC

I've used engine oil for flushing through a bearing (nothing else available at the time), with the help of a small brush. That worked well and would have lubricated the bearing (inadequately) for a time. Then blew hard through the bearing and packed in grease.

Reply to
PeterC

Water can be better than 'dry' for as long as there's enough of it but, as you say, it don't last long! 15 hours cycling in rain showed me that the chain would remain quiet whilst wet - then the rain stopped...

Reply to
PeterC

That could make the hinge rusty, so you could use WD40 as a penetrating oil to free it off :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Perzackerly if a proper lubricant had been used first time the door would need replacing before the hinge started squeaking again.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It works for Boddingtons

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I'd rather drink WD40 :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The clutch pedal on my car squeaks when I lift my foot up. I took it to the garage and they sprayed it with, you guessed, WD40. 9 months later, it started to squeak again. Next week, I am going to take it back again with the *lubricant* of my own choice. ** either mollypaul, or an Aeroshell grease.

Dave

Reply to
Dave