The restart project

Was on the one show last night - they have a website

Thought it was interesting to see repairs in the mainstream media!

Reply to
mogga

Restart used to be the name of a government employment scheme. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Stuff is not made to be repaired these days. They actively discourage it with the cost of spare parts.

In days of yore stuff used to last for years and parts were easily available. Other problem is that technology is advancing so quickly that by the time something is shagged, it is obsolete and no-one wants it.

People used to buy say an electric cooker and expect it to last a lifetime. (Literally) And they did.

Reply to
harryagain

I remember c.1970 going across to Philips at Purley Way to buy replacement piano keys for my tape recorder - they went brittle with age. Can't imagine it now. But quality power tools seem still to have parts availability though I've not had cause to test this.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

The best lasts now too, or a good percentage of it does. The past is filter ed through rose glasses, and the fact that only the better stuff from then remains. Few of us today are willing to pay industrial prices for stuff tha t will last a lifetime - even fewer did decades ago. One of the advantages of buying very old kit is it becomes affordable to buy stuff that really wi ll last for life.

NT

Reply to
meow2222