The reasons why windmills wont work...

Assuming we're not talking about a loft conversion then you fill the space between the joists to a depth that is reasonable & then fill the space between the rafters as well.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , at 19:17:38 on Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Duncan Wood remarked:

That makes sense, but the bit about purlins still doesn't, so I'm going to pretend it never happened.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Said to be good for the digestion.

sure to play the Pepto -Bismol "Dance Machine" game on that page.

Select 3 characters lets call them "Mary", "Dynamo", and "Drivel".

Next select some wallpaper for the game. (Office or street is good).

Next chose 5 digestive afflictions all are good, but IMHO Di-hooria is best, chose it 3 times with 2 different "movements" in between.

Then you are all set to play.

If the game seems to stall during one of the selection phases it's probably waiting for you to click a continue box you've missed.

Enjoy.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I think my brain faded several messages back & substituted purlin for rafter. Apparently the currently in solution is the shiny silver thinsulex stuff & cellotex underneath.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

My neighbor is a structural engineer and head of building control for a large council in the midlands.. he is not worried about putting flooring and stuff into the attic space even with these trusted rafters. I doubt if a 100kg man is going to be a problem as long as he keeps his feet on the rafters and not the plaster board.

Reply to
dennis

Quite a few, in the IT industry. Even in this weather we are running the aircon. I can't help wishing we could pipe the heat into the houses down the road...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Have you been to the Norfolk Coast?

Of course the catch is that if we all went to windmills he wouldn't be able to get any power on the odd calm day because everyone would want it...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In general, women have better colour vision and men have better night vision.

BTW you lose colour in low light, which is why Dave is surprised by his aurora photos.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Since water is becoming a critical resource on a global scale we would do better to make sure we harvest as much as possible and trade it for something we do want. Or is it still not expensive enough to transport very far.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

That makes no sense at all!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Think of a large office block with several floors of hundreds of computers all pushing out 200-300Watts each of heat. Then add the lighting and the bodies. I'm not at all surprised.

Paul

Reply to
PaulB

They said the same thing about the Titanic. ;-)

Seriously though there must be a limit.

There are people like my wife who would continue to pack it with the end bits of rolls of new carpets (in case the new carpet gets damaged) I came across 3 generations of those (unused) for some of our rooms, china dinner services, canteens of cutlery, suitcases full of old clothes, boxes of old tradesmens tools etc, as relatives by the dozen died and/or left the country, we've been in here for 30 years !

For this reason I've had the loft of the house emptied, and the junk stored in the roofspace of the attached garage, which has a "Proper" roof (as the builders called it). It is also lower and more easily accessible making it more likely to get purged occasionally.

Granted the worst that most are likely to encounter are deflections in the joist (part of the truss) leading to cracks in the bedroom ceiling

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

The air isn't stationary and stratified (if it was, the upstairs rads wouldn't do you a lot of good, their heat would pool on the ceiling) so while some of the upstairs light's heat will escape through the 10 inches of insulation you of course have in the loft, most of it will end up in the room. At least for a while.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Even in this room here at home with no heating on at 10:28 pm with 2 PCs running, one a low energy 9 > 14 watt fanless as an experiment, the other a standard 5 year old trad PC the temperature in this room is 22.7 C outside it is 4.3 C . Looks like the trad PC will be replaced with a fanless within 4 weeks.

Using 87 watts of CFL lighting ( 9 CFLs) but they are 14 weeks old so beginning to get noticeably dimmer now.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Demnonstrating ignorance again Mary?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And of course all these places are absolutely hermetically sealed so there are no places for the air in the house to escape .. right?....

Reply to
tony sayer

Isn't IT equipment supposed to be getting more efficient as time goes on?...

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , at 22:41:52 on Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Derek Geldard remarked:

Is that a fact? So the 10-year life they brag about is a bit misleading? I did wonder why it seemed so dark in several of the rooms where I have cfls. More greenwash .

Reply to
Roland Perry

There is more or less a direct correlation between CPU cycles and power consumed..as the chips get faster,they take more power..

If you are running a data center full of servers, there is a LOT of heat coming off.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , at 09:36:45 on Tue, 11 Mar 2008, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

All very interesting, but not of much practical use in a discussion of the average clerical office.

Reply to
Roland Perry