The reasons why windmills wont work...

I think we're on a hiding to nothing trying to turn Afghanistan into a viable, stable country. It has effectively no national resources, it's land locked, it has very little infrastructure and wouldn't have anything to do with it if it had any. I don't believe Afghanistan has ever had a viable self-sustaining economy at anything about subsistence farmer level in its entire history. Unless you count opiom poppies, of course...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Shore

I obviously didn't make myself clear. The benefits of workiing at home are that you can choose your own heating and lighting levels, you're not bound by legislation. If you choose to heat and light your workspace more than some would like that's your choice. Nobody's suggesting that you sit in the cold and dark.

Another element I hadn't considered is that you might have small windows in your house which would mean that you need to use more artificial light than those of us with the benefit of daylight.

'Used to be' isn't now. We prefer to be in control of what we eat rather than have what someone else decides. It didn't take much time to pack lunches - we did it for us and all the children when they were at school.

But we didn't spend time doing what others do.

It's your choice.

Your choices seem to result in higher expenses to your income as well as your carbon footprint.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So you meant the vast majority of the peoiple with whom you discuss the issues.

I didn't say that.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I live in the inner city and the only noise we find intrusive is that from loud radios in passing cars in the street. Some complain about the noise of birds, we like it. Someone once complained about the noise of our three bantams, he got up a petition among neighbours. Didn't get a single supporting signature. In fact when we killed a cockerel (because we didn't want fertile eggs) we had a lot of complaints from neighbours who liked to hear him 'singing'.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In the same way as pain is only in the imagination :-)>

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Um - I must have missed something here. Who brought stucco into the thread?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Flats built in Cambridge in the late 1980s and presumably beyond have numerous gang nailed trusses instead of sturdy rafters and purlins, owing to their weakness they use lots of triangular bracing. I have used a loft of this type, it's possible but not fun, you have to keep crawling through holes in the trusses.

PaulB

AFAIK, all houses built in the last 30 years are done like this.

LOL. Fat chance.

Reply to
Huge

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:10:21 -0000 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

Indeed.

Reply to
David Hansen

Yeah but you're cheating by havin' a lot of sea close by. I'm surrounded by land, just a lot of land with nothing but a few scattered sheep.

Quite possibly I don't see the colours of the aurora very well unless it is a very bright display. I've taken pictures and been most surprised at what they show.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , at 09:57:45 on Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Tim Ward remarked:

They are built like that so you can use prefabricated roof "frames", rather than have to use real joiners to assemble a "custom" roof out of large bits of timber. They are not as difficult to walk around or store things in as is perhaps suggested. There should be clear runs perpendicular to the ridge. Converting an attic space like that into a proper room is likely to be difficult.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I note that other confirmed my figures.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:17:25 -0000 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

Roland, though it is complicated by several sub-threads being woven together. It implies that the only covering for external insulation is stucco and that it will need to be replaced in six years.

While I have no idea what Penny clad her external insulation in, I don't recall her mentioning it in the presentation but that was a few years ago, I suspect that it was not stucco but a more suitable material. Whatever the covering was it has probably been up for at least six years now.

Reply to
David Hansen

But save more onheatinh, as in a modern insulated house, apart from ventilation, windows are the major suorces ofg heatloss.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Opium?

I think one has to..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , at 10:07:05 on Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Mary Fisher remarked:

I'm sure I heat and light my house somewhat below average, if I compare it with other locations where I encounter people working from home.

Only because I work from home. If I was commuting to a regular office it would still be my preferred style.

I decide what to eat, and in particular *where*. Some places are better than others (and I don't mean "more expensive", a fiver would be my target price).

Commuting seems to involve early starts, so having less to do while running for the train is always welcome.

I make many choices that significantly reduce both. And I'm not even sure my choices in this case are above average in either cost or carbon footprint. For example, you seem to be ignoring the fact that I have zero expense or carbon footprint running an office away from home. My choice to save the rent as well as all the travel costs, but many people in my situation would rent a couple of hundred square feet over a shop somewhere, rather than work from home.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 10:10:21 on Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Mary Fisher remarked:

I'm not a mind reader, so yes, I do need to talk to people to find out what they think.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I've yet to hear the wind on it's own make any noise. All the noise I've ever heard from the wind has come from it interacting with another object, like my ears, trees, hedges, grass, walls, buildings etc...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , at 10:17:25 on Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Mary Fisher remarked:

It was mentioned as the covering for externally-fitted wall insulation boards. Made a number of alarm bells go off.

Reply to
Roland Perry

The message from David Hansen contains these words:

The Hansen smokescreen in full operation again. Equate established standards to rudeness and edit out the meat in an attempt to belittle the opposition.

It doesn't work Hansen. If Wikipedia is right and you quoted your source correctly your source is damn near as clueless about numbers as you are. And if you weren't so clueless about numbers you would have noticed the information you took as gospel was wrong.

Reply to
Roger