The power cut that wasn't

There I was sat at the computer playing a game of snooker, and all the lights go out, and the UPS alarms go off... Oh well, another power cut - not that common round here but we get a few a year normally. Might as well finish the game while I am at it.

(sprogs appear, did someone turn off youtube^h^h^h^h^h^h^h my homework).

I wander into the hall and notice that the neighbours outside lights are still on... odd power cut, perhaps its only a single phase out.

Then I check my CU and notice the the 100mA time delayed RCD has tripped. Now that is a bit more interesting - it has to be something pretty dramatic to trip that. Something somewhere has thrown a wobbly. Turned everything back on again, all is well.

Twenty mins later SWMBO says "I think I know what the problem was - the oven does not seem to be getting very warm"...

Oh how I enjoy changing oven elements - not ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , John Rumm writes

Not your week, John. It is said these things come in threes ...

Reply to
News

Yes, in addition to the washing machine and possibly water softener, I changed the oven element a little while ago too.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Completely trivial on mine. Just unscrew a couple of nuts on the retaining plate thru the open oven door and it unplugs out thru the open oven door. Since it?s a wall oven, you don?t you can do it all just standing in front of it, don?t even need to bend over.

Reply to
Sam Thatch

You oven is a complete amateur. A *proper* professional oven waits for Christmas eve... ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

This is why I still have the old Baby Belling stored in the garage.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Fairly simple on mine by the looks of it... the main difficulty is now SWMBO has her thoughts drifting toward a double oven ;-)

(I can see the attraction of one with a self cleaning lining, and fan that does not squeak myself)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yeah, can be a problem in that situation.

Yeah, went for one of those myself, bugger of a job otherwise.

Yeah, that sort of thing is a pain, surprisingly irritating, particularly when it varies and you keep wondering how long it will be before it dies too, just after you have paid for the new element.

Reply to
Sam Thatch

That's not funny! Staying with friends for Christmas. The fan oven refused to come on just as preliminary cooking was about to start for the following day's Big Meal. I got it out of its recess (having checked all the obvious things), removed the back, tested and couldn't see anything obvious. Then, following a wire that went right to the front, saw the back of a switch. Exploring the front of the oven, there was a door-operated switch so buried in crud that it wasn't visible. Cleaned it and life was restored. Now thjat's sod's law - get the oven out and in pieces only to find that a minute's work from the front...!

Reply to
PeterC

En el artículo , Sam Thatch escribió:

Another Woddles morph.

"" "John James" "Simon Brown" "Jacko" "Simon263" "John Chance" "Ratsack" "Hank" "kshy" "JHY" "Blano" "Santo Brown" "hqhy" "Jim Thomas" "Sam Thatch"

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yes assuming all those grease ridden rusty self tapping screws and fittings that appear to be welded in place. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Short of killing her then there is nothing you can do.

Reply to
ARW

Well I could just repair the existing one... then the excuse goes away before she decides what she wants to replace it with ;-)

(Unlike many women, my wife seems to be almost incapable of spending money - so selecting a new oven would take ages. Its a rare but desirable trait IMHO ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

slippery sod, must have had a gap in my filter!

(although that post was out of character - it was inane and pointless as usual, but not obviously wrong. You think he is slipping?)

Reply to
John Rumm

En el artículo , John Rumm escribió:

It's his modus operandi. He'll switch nym, make one or two "reasonable" posts then when he snares a victim, it's back to the same old same old. He's a pathological attention-seeker.

Mike Tomlinson