the mystery pipe??

Hiya guys and girls,

needing a little bit of help with diagnosing a pipe in our livingroom. Its about 2 inches above the floorboards running from inside the chimmney breast to the outside of the building. It has a little tap on it but it looks maybe 40-50 years old (1950's these were built) At one point there was a back boiler but its not there now. Our best guess is an overflow for the old water heating system/back boiler. Anyone any other suggestions??

Reply to
Allie

The message from "Allie" contains these words:

What happens when you open the tap?

Reply to
Guy King

I used Unibond bathroom and shower sealant from the local shed. Expensive at 8 quid a go but it's so bloody waterproof it's v.difficult to smooth it after application 'cos it sticks to

*everything*. Flexible too, the only thing that broke it in our case was for some reason the shower tray managed to drop a few mm (don't ask why, I dunno yet!) and the stuff stretched and broke the grout on the surrounding tiles resulting in much leakage.....

The moral to this tale is if yer tray doesn't drop this stuff is good! IMO obviously.

cheers

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Owain

Sounds like a gas pipe. Describe the tap.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

when you open it nothing happens. The tap like the pipe is copper, its about 2 inches long by quater inch wide and hac LOW 1966 stamped on it. The end of the pipe that meets the outside of the building is open similat to an overflow.

Reply to
Allie

How much does it turn to open it - a quarter of a turn, or a lot more? Is the shape of the bit which you turn like a round bar, or more like a flat disc?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Maybe someone's idea of an air intake for the fire?

A 50's house we lived in once had a coal fire and similar pipes each side of the grate, with crude flap-valves to close the pipes off.

Reply to
Tony Williams

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

You've had a bayonet /and/ a bulbous bit? You've certainly been around, Mary.

Reply to
Guy King

I've made the most of my life :-)

Mary