The most suitable adhesive

I'm trying to find out the best adhesive for gluing leather shoes back on to a rubber sole.

I know the polyurethane adhesive that came in tubes for gluing on 'stick on soles' that we got from Woolworths was very good, but even if i could buy it now, it was expensive for just a smallish tube.

Looking on some sites that supply to the shoe trade, I can see that they sell: Neoprene cement, rubber solution, synthetic vinyl cement and polyurethane.

Does anyone have an idea which would be the best bet, without it costing a fortune?

I know that the polyurethane glue i used from Woolworths was very good, but i'm thinking that buying a litre tin (which is the smallest quantity i've seen for sale on these sites) might well all dry up quite quickly since my rate of using it will be quite slow. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
john hamilton

Evostik traditional solvent based contact adhesive is the dogs bollocks for this.

example.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Shoe Goop. It should be available at most hard ware stores.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Or Pound Shop for a small amount. Ours sells Uhu brand, which seems fine

Reply to
stuart noble

I don't mean to take the p but did you possibly mean Shoe Goo? (See eg

If so I swear by it for repairs to all sorts of things (soles, heels, rucksacks, tool rolls etc etc) but I wouldn't turn to it for sticking soles on.

Reply to
Robin

Seconded.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I have a pair of insulated boots whose soles detached a couple of years ago. I simply put them back on using ordinary contact cement, and they've been fine ever since.

W.

Reply to
watcher