The lights are on but nobodys home :(

I have a Zanussi Frost Free ZFC 40/36FF. My problem is that it lights up, and makes all the right noises, but the fridge and freezer compartments are warm. Does it need a new thermostat? If so are they easy to install? and last but not least where could I get one, I have searched google but can't find one for my model.

Regards Kyla

Reply to
Kyla

Does the current one cause the motor to switch on and off?

Reply to
Nigel M

If you're lucky, yes, this is about the only part of a fridge that can be repaired by the average d-i-y-er. If you know enough electrickery to work out how to do it without killing yourself, just short out the thermostat switch contacts and see if it then starts to cool down. If so, then pro tem, you can put the fridge on a timeswitch set to come on for, say, 15 minutes in the hour or half-hour. YMMV; set it up with a thermometer. Mine's been working that way for 6 months -- I've got a replacement thermostat but lack round toits to fit it.

I'm not familiar with your model, but with luck you can get a generic part. I got mine (for a very ancient, very simple fridge) on eBay. Go to

and put fridge thermostat in the Search box. There are currently 3 sellers and at least one of them gives a 'phone number for enquiries.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Doran

Thanks for the reply. I looked on ebay and 2 of the sellers say..

If there is any noise coming from the refrigerator then it is the compressor that has failed.

If there is noise coming from the refrigerator then it is the thermostat.

My refrigerator makes the same noise it always has, but both compartments are warm. The compressor is not hot.

Regards Michaela

Reply to
Kyla

Maybe it needs re-gassing ?