The Housebuilder's Bible

i am starting a self build project in northern ireland, after reading through a few posts The Housebuilder's Bible seems to be coming highly recommended as a good starting point.

i'd like to know if this book is worth while getting, or is it more suited to self builds in the UK mainland?

many thanks.

Reply to
lonestar

I have a copy and think it's worthwhile having; however I can't comment on it's suitability as to Northern Ireland because I don't know what's different over there, in terms of trades, regulations etc. Do you?!

David

Reply to
Lobster

i'm not too sure, building regs maybe different, labour costs may be cheaper ... a lot of the more general info on self build may still apply.

Lobster wrote:

Reply to
lonestar

It tells you how to go about building a house. I doesn't tell you "how" to build it. What type of house are you building?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In message , lonestar writes

Are you on the UK_Selfbuild email list? Mark, the author posts there (or did when I last read it a little while back)

Reply to
chris French

Reply to
lonestar

I would say the book is worth getting, although he tends to be aligned with the more conservative approach. Look at books that make the house more energy efficient. Get the Whole House Book from CAT at

It slants towards eco, but is great for any type of house. It will give you a clearer picture in which way to go. The more you know the better the choices and the better the house. Don't copy the outdated methods used by the big construction companies.

Many selfbuilder use timber frame. They spray in the voids Warmcel insulation which seals the house and insulates so much only a partial heating system is needed. Simple design features of passive solar can be incorporated which are basically for free as it is just design.

Look at SIP panels. They are catching on in the UK. Very popular in the USA and Canada.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel