The House the 50s Built

But the D/W is the only appliance that need be in the kitchen.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Modern built-in dishwashers - I have to press my ear to the cupboard door to hear if the thing is still running or not.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I just spent 2 hours sewing a new pocket into my suit trousers. Very pleased with the result, and it's _much_ better than the one I had done by the dry cleaners a few years ago, which took me longer to repair afterwards than it's just taken me to do the whole thing myself.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's strangely satisfying, repairing something and what's even better is adding extra pockets to hold lenses, photo kit and other bits and bobs.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I do my own clothes repairs but also I have added the occasional inside pocket to pairs of trousers. I work on the basis that if I can't reach into my pocket with my own hands then neither can anyone else with theirs. A fairly essential strategy in some parts of the world[1] unfortunately.

Nick [1]Although there have only been two occasions when I have been successfully pickpocketed, one of those was in a bustling market in Cochabamba, Bolivia and the other was in the checkout queue in Tesco, Huddersfield. So maybe I ought to wear those trousers in the UK too.

Reply to
Nick Odell

Three here

Reply to
geoff

I DO hope that none of them are from a certain religious group that harry would take offence to.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We've already passed his details on to the Mullahs

Reply to
geoff

Investing in building projects is always the first to go when the economy hits a downturn. Your cash is seriously drained for a 1 or 2 year period depending how quickly you can sell the finished product.

In the meantime you would have been earning interest on the capital on some other investment.

It was an eye opener to me when the work dried up no that long after they started importing east Europeans at 2/3 the going rate and about

6 months before the actual crashes happened like dominoes.
Reply to
Weatherlawyer

You're not allowed to say that! The Branding Police have decreed it!

that's two offences in one sentence!

It must be great fun for the railway company if they are banned from using the name of their high speed service ...

In London, we've already been paying for it, even if, like me, we don't want to be anywhere near it, via an extra charge on top of the council tax - AND we've got to put up with mayhem when this circus hits town!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Ah, my parents had one of those - I seem to remember they ditched it when the motor started sparking. Probably just worn brushes, but I was only about 5 at the time and my "take everything apart to see how it works" gene didn't really kick in for another couple of years. Shame, as it would have been nice to keep it, just for the design alone.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

[...]