The Good Old Days of UK.D-I-Y

Page 2 of 2
On 26 Jan 2004, John Stumbles wrote

Actually, it probably can -- but I wouldn't know how to score it, myself.
(A couple of years and a couple of re-installs ago, someone came up with a scoring entry for me that killed things if poster "A" was being responded to by poster "B", or vice versa. Both posters were worth reading -- as long as they weren't in the same thread.)
--
Cheers,
Harvey

Now what's the point of taking a newsfeed when you know that over 50% of the posts on that newsfeed are going to be marked as "ignore"? ;)
PoP
On 25 Jan 2004, PoP wrote

Fair 'nuff.... ;)
--
Cheers,
Harvey
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 19:22:31 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

this is currently removing 14% of the newgroup traffic.
I find that with ABABABA ding-dong threads I just read the non-AB posts which will tell me where thread has got to (if anywhere).
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 23:38:31 +0000, "Ed Sirett"

Sorry to ask a really dumb question - but does this imply that this newsgroup is under control of a moderator?
I'm real happy if it is! It's just that I thought it was like all the other newsgroups, and a free-for-all.
PoP

in the middle, intelligence at the edges. The idea extends to Usenet: *you*, with *your* *own* news client, are in ultimate charge of filtering. All the previous poster meant is that they're using their own reader/downloader's filtering rules to create a more pleasant reading experience for themselves.
HTH - Stefek
On 26 Jan 2004 17:06:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hp.com wrote:

Thanks Stefek - as I thought. :)
PoP
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:05:24 +0000, PoP wrote:

I meant that I have reduced the traffic of news group articles on my computer by 14%.

No. I'd also run and dissappear if it had especially if I were the moderator!
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Yes, ignore the other suggestions and get MacSOUP for OSX. Stefan the author of MacSOUP posts regularly to uk.comps.sys.mac which is the place to look for all questions relating to MacOS.
The following was his announcement of the latest (beta) version. If you want to stick with the tried and tested version then that is version 2.5, but 2.6 seems to be extremely stable.
------------------------------------------------------------------ The first beta version of MacSOUP 2.6 is available.
Changes since 2.5:
- Supports SMTP authentication. - Uses the system-wide address book on Mac OS X 10.2 and later. - Address auto-completion in the To, Cc, and Bcc fields in outgoing messages. - A filter field at the top of the subject window that allows you to narrow down the list to only those articles whose author or subject contains a certain substring. - Ability to filter mail by arbitrary headers, not just the couple of predefined ones. Useful to filter mail by headers like "X-Spam-Classification:" which are added by spam filters such as POPFile or SpamBayes. - Several bug fixes and performance improvements. In particular, searching (non-regexp) has become much faster.
Available from:
<http://home.snafu.de/stk/macsoup/
MacSOUP is IMO much better than any of the newsreader I have used under Windows or Unix/Linux. The kill file is particularly good and will in most cases kill the troublesme posts by simply downloading the headers - so you don't have to download the entire article in order to decide that you don't want to read it.