The girl who says 'no'

Me: Have you got any four by four posts, but long ones, maybe three and a half metres? Girl in timber yard office (who has been needlessly obstructive on several previous occasions): No. Me: What's the longest you've got? Girl: We might have some ten foot. Not sure. Might only have eight foot. Me: Well can you cut me some longer ones? Girl: How can we make long ones from short ones? Me: I thought you could maybe start with a tree. Girl: Oh funny guy eh? Me: Only when provoked. Girl: Could you get me some longer ones if I order them? Girl: Oh no we don't do that. Me: Oh well, OK then. Thanks for your help anyway. Girl: I'll go and have a look. [a few seconds later, sounding disappointed]: Oh, there's some three point six. Just come in. Excellent. I'll see you shortly.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It's not that place in Strood, is it? If it's still there...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Just finished reading a couple of books about Fred Dibnah. One of his frien ds made/restored something (might have been a windmill) and the main shaft started as an oak tree and was turned into a shaft with some assistance fro m a Land-Rover providing the motive power.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

We used to call these sort of people doom brains in the 70s

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
Martin

Yes but the lack of initiative or as they call it now, thinking outside the box, is usually a symptom of University syndrome where common sense is replaced by useless knowledge. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
Martin

Wimin take offence far more easily than men; it's impossible to avoid sometimes. I always despair when a woman answers the phone and I have a technical query because I know I'm going to have to explain the problem twice: once to her and once again to the man she then puts me through to.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Sadly it seems the knowledge of how to handle a customer politely and courteously just does not exist these days until the maturity sets in. In the recent past I have had to deal with an organisation where the first time I was answered by an early 20-something (I would guess) who clearly could not give a stuff. The second time I called I got a mature woman who could not have been more helpful or friendly.

My wife has had the very same in dealing with the Halifax - and that their breavement department - and on a couple of occasions with BG. Conversely she has also dealt with Severn Trent Water and (surprisingly) BT where whoever answered the call could not have been more helpful.

STW - and for those that use them, First Direct (bank) - clearly spend time and money training their staff in how to talk to customers on the telephone. From my experience scripts don't even come into it. BT - well I think that was just a fluke!

Reply to
Woody

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:nof8ko$gi9$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Some women are technically very savvy, just proportionally fewer.

Reply to
Wolfgang Schwanke

You don't like me because I constantly demonstrate the superiority of my intelligence over yours. But the girl was a stranger.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

But it now starts in primary schools with photo copied sheets and tick boxes. The standard mantra was:-

1) I listen, I forget. 2) I see, I remember. 3 I do, I understand.

Doing has disappeared.

Reply to
Capitol

Women on Dutch help desks are competent even when speaking English.

Reply to
Martin

It took me days to report a fault to BT recently. The fault reporting system has replaced people with voice operated computers which do not understand English. The on line system is now a people data collecting system and doesn't work without javascript. I don't give out personal details on line, so couldn't use it. I was about to write to BT, my MP and OFCOM when somehow I managed to register a fault condition using the 151 system. My bank, Plusnet and Tesco are a joy to contact as they answer their phones with people.

Reply to
Capitol

That's because they have been properly briefed.

Reply to
charles

There was a girl who answered the phone on the Service Reception Desk at a car Main Dealer back in the 1980s. She knew more about diagnosing faults and mending cars than half the mechanics she booked the work to.

I know, because she married a friend of mine.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

I'd say well educated.

Reply to
Martin

I have found that saying "Complaint" at the first prompt puts one through to an English operator with above-average levels of clue.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

There's that, too. They might even be educated enough to know they need better briefing notes.

Reply to
charles

I'll remember that.

Reply to